Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Chewing

Options
  • 05-06-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for advice
    My mam got a dog in February, it's a cross between a Begal and terrior. Its approx 12 months old. Very playful dog and friendly I must add.

Problem is the dog is willingly to chew on absolutely anything right now, leads, runners, leather etc. The usual stuff! She lives in the countryside and also works so the dog doesn't have 24\7 attention and is on it's own at times.

We are aware this is a phase but we need to urgently address it. Any solutions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Get a spray in any pet shop to put on furniture etc to try and curtail it, worked for me years ago,also had to tap hop on nose each time I caught him at it with a newspaper and a loud "stop" , REPEATEDLY , eventually it worked_ ceasefire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

To Be honest OP my cocker was an AWFUL chewer a few things made massive difference:

1. Do not leave anything within reach when they are alone, put everything up high - helps avoid temptation

2. ensure they are properly exercised and have mental stimulation (feed a decent quality food)

3. we used crib halt - all over doors, table legs, decking to stop chewing - worked a charm https://foranequine.com/ie/product/crib-halt/

4. leave a stuffed kong when going out to stop anxiety

5. try rescue remedy for dogs - lots of times they chew due to anxiety

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Get a spray in any pet shop to put on furniture etc to try and curtail it, worked for me years ago,also had to tap hop on nose each time I caught him at it with a newspaper and a loud "stop" , REPEATEDLY , eventually it worked_ ceasefire

My dog ate the spray bottle when we left her for 90 minutes. None of mine stopped chewing until they were at least one year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP please don't "tap" a dog on their nose for chewing or anything else... its the most sensitive part of their body :(

Avoidance / positive training will fix this not tapping them on their nose

Advertisement