Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis 2.0 D4D - grey smoke

Options
  • 04-06-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

2011 Avensis 2.0 litre D4D 6 speed. What I would best describe as a grey to black smoke (definitely not pitch black) from the exhaust at circa 2000 rpm when the engine is under load, in particular going up a hill. Problem seems pretty intermittent all the same. Is not using any coolant and does not appear to be using any oil to any excessive extent anyway. Car has just over 200k km up on it and as I only have it a couple of weeks I wouldn't be aware of its full history. Anybody know what the problem potentially is?

Also could somebody recommend to me a good honest diesel mechanic in Limerick/Kerry or North Cork area that knows their stuff. Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Bump up, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How about a service.
    You know, fresh oil, and some fresh air/oil/fuel filter .

That would be a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Might be the dpf doing its thing have seen smoke from a few avensis taxis like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

2011 Avensis 2.0 litre D4D 6 speed. What I would best describe as a grey to black smoke (definitely not pitch black) from the exhaust at circa 2000 rpm when the engine is under load, in particular going up a hill. Problem seems pretty intermittent all the same. Is not using any coolant and does not appear to be using any oil to any excessive extent anyway. Car has just over 200k km up on it and as I only have it a couple of weeks I wouldn't be aware of its full history. Anybody know what the problem potentially is?

Also could somebody recommend to me a good honest diesel mechanic in Limerick/Kerry or North Cork area that knows their stuff. Thanks all in advance.

If it makes you feel any better I have the same car and it's been doing the same since I bought it. It's been reviewed by Toyota on many occasions including replacing a rake of parts under warranty and the car is still doing it 120k+ later. It's consuming no oil and no coolant. However during this time I've noticed it mainly only happens when I've done a bit of low speed stop start type city driving. I drive a round trip of a few hundred km a couple of times a week and have never seen it happen during a decent trip. I believe it a active regen cycle for the DPF based on my observations. I've owned this car for several years.

My car has only ever been serviced every 10-15k with Toyota Genuine Motors parts, including oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks one and all for the replies. I'm not seriously worried about it as its not consuming any notable amount of oil or coolant so far. I have being behind enough modern diesel engine cars and light commercials to know that they can emit a serious amount of smoke too. That said the car does seem to blow out a serious amount of smoke on occasion and hence why I started the thread. I thought it may have being the case that there was something known in them to be a major culprit and hence why I started the thread. I did change the oil and filter and must change the air filter, fuel filter and glow plugs to see if it makes a difference. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wouldn't bother with the glow plugs unless you have problems with cold starts and white smoke (unburned diesel) when it's cold. They're not in use once the engine is warmed up. It might be good to get some OBD-II reader and see if you can get some useful data about the DPF (live data using Torque or similar app if available), as when it gets particularly smokey could be related to a regen cycle as Miike said.

Advertisement