Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 and Coax wiring

Options
  • 04-06-2019 9:01pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just moving into a brand new house and have some questions about the way it's wired.

Outside the house, in a white box, is where the tv points come into the house. There are ~4 coaxial cables here. The 2 living rooms and 2 of the bedrooms have coax right now, so I am assuming that's what they are for.

2 of these have been connected up to Virgin Media, and Virgin have put their box on the wall in the living room. The setup I am looking for in the house is Virgin for internet and Sky for TV. Sky are coming to install later this week.

I took off the Virgin box on the living room wall to see what is behind it and I'm a bit confused. It seems that there is 1 x coax, currently connected for Virgin, 1 x Cat6 and 1 x Cat5e.

Looking outside in the white box where the tv cables come in I can also see there is a cat6 cable going in there.

The whole house is wired for cat5, and they all go into the attic where I can put a switch.

I have no idea what this Cat6 cable is for. Anyone any ideas?

Also, I presume that Sky and Virgin will be able to share the coax coming into the house, and we'll use Sky Q in single feed mode? We do something similar in our apartment right now I think.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

awec wrote: »
    I have no idea what this Cat6 cable is for. Anyone any ideas?

Also, I presume that Sky and Virgin will be able to share the coax coming into the house, and we'll use Sky Q in single feed mode? We do something similar in our apartment right now I think.

Regarding the Cat6 cable, maybe installed during build for future proofing, could be used as a phoneline cable. Is there an existing phone cable into the house?

For a domestic install Sky will install a standard wideband LNB with 2 cables to the TV point. Single feed mode or dSCR as they refer to it is for a communal setup feeding multiple units via a dSCR multiswitch, the multiswitch is in turn fed by 4 cables from a quattro LNB on the dish.

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Cush wrote: »
    Regarding the Cat6 cable, maybe installed during build for future proofing, could be used as a phoneline cable. Is there an existing phone cable into the house?

For a domestic install Sky will install a standard wideband LNB with 2 cables to the TV point. Single feed mode or dSCR as they refer to it is for a communal setup feeding multiple units via a dSCR multiswitch, the multiswitch is in turn fed by 4 cables from a quattro LNB on the dish.

No phone line no.

So sky will want to start drilling holes in the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

awec wrote: »
    So sky will want to start drilling holes in the walls?

Unless there is another way to route the cables.

Feck it!

Really wish I had asked the electrician to run some extra coax into the living room now. :mad:

On a side note, can someone confirm that the Sky Q mini boxes have no need for a coax connection? They work off the local network to connect to the main box, right?

Also, how willing are Sky engineers to run the cable where I want it?

Our living room is on the front of the house, so the cable if the run a new one will have to run along the front, but it's at the opposite corner of the house to where the dish will go. About half way up the house the facia transitions from red brick to render, and there's a bit of a lip. The cable could be tucked under the lip and be pretty much hard to spot, is this something they'd do?

Or should I just be asking them to leave enough slack for me to tack it up there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement