Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reunification visa advice

Options
  • 04-06-2019 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I met my Vietnamese partner online 9 months ago. I spent 2 weeks with her in her hometown. We talk everyday and at the weekends sometime up to 5 hours per day. We planned for her to come here this summer but the application (3 month tourist visa) failed due to proof of our relationship. In the application we provided more than enough proof of our genuine relationship and every requirement listed on inis.gov.ie was fully covered.

We are talking about marriage. If we get married in a few months we will need to get a reunification visa. One of the requirements for a reunification visa is proof of a genuine relationship.

My question is, to legally satisfy visa requirements, what is the minimum amount of time I need to spend living with her in Vietnam to tick that box in the reunification visa application. Anyone with any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can't qualify for reunification when you haven't been unified in the first place, what you describe doesn't qualify. Our immigration laws are tight. Have a look at the requirements for a de facto partnership visa, you should be looking at meeting those to have any chance of her getting permission to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

m_daniel wrote: »
    My question is, to legally satisfy visa requirements, what is the minimum amount of time I need to spend living with her in Vietnam to tick that box in the reunification visa application. Anyone with any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

If you get married, EU treaty rights will allow you to live and work with your wife in any EU country (cept Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 m_daniel

If you get married, EU treaty rights will allow you to live and work with your wife in any EU country (cept Ireland).

Leaving my job and home is not a great option.

As to my original question, how any idea how much time living together, say 3 months, would satisfy visa requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As to my original question, how any idea how much time living together, say 3 months, would satisfy visa requirements?

As above, look at the de facto visa requirements. Given the brevity of your relationship and the distance between you, you will have to reach a very high standard of proof. Living together for at least two years is one of the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

at least two years

• Advertisement
Advertisement