Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

New Timetables for 17/17A/17D/104/114/220 in Dublin from 16th June

  • 04-06-2019 5:31pm
    #1
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull
    Moderator


    Following consultation with and approval from the National Transport Authority (NTA), Go-Ahead Ireland are amending several of their timetables.

    The changes will come into effect on Sunday the 16th June 2019 and relate to the 17 (Blackrock-Rialto route), 17A (Blanchardstown-Kilbarrack route), 104 (Clontarf-DCU route), 114 (Blackrock-Ticknock) and 220 (Lady’s Well Road-DCU route).

    A summary is below, and the timetables are available now on both the www.transportforireland.ie and www.goaheadireland.ie websites.

    17A - Blanchardstown to Kilbarrack route
    - Morning peak departures revised. Improved 10 minute frequency, from Kilbarrack, between 0655 and 0750

    17 Blackrock - Rialto route
    - Morning peak departures revised. 10 minute frequency from Rialto between 0640 and 0710
    - Apart from the 17D route, all journeys operate the entire length of the route (i.e. there are no short trips, terminating at UCD mid route)
    - The 17C route no longer operates, all the previous 17C journeys are converted into 17 journeys meaning UCD is served on every trip

    114 Blackrock - Ticknock route
    - Trip running times have been reviewed to account for variable traffic conditions

    220 Lady's Well Road - DCU route
    - Trip running times have been reviewed to account for variable traffic conditions
    - 0842 from Lady's Well Road now leaves at 0810 in order to provide better connections for school times.
    - Stop 94 on Ballymun Road will no longer be served by the 220/220A. This is due to the fact the bus must cross several lanes of traffic to turn right at the next junction.

    104 Clontarf Road – DCU route
    - Trip running times have been reviewed to account for variable traffic conditions
    - Departures/Arrivals at DCU have moved slightly
    - On Sunday, the last two trips continue all the way through to Clontarf Station (as opposed to terminating at Beaumont Hospital)
    - The timetable has been revised on this route so that most arrive in DCU a quarter to the hour and leave approximately 10 mins after the hour; to facilitate the start and end of lectures. RTPI Apps.

    Full details at:
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/customers-benefit-go-ahead-ireland-timetable-changes


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ Thrashssacre
    Registered User


    devnull wrote: »
    Following consultation with and approval from the National Transport Authority (NTA), Go-Ahead Ireland are amending several of their timetables.

    The changes will come into effect on Sunday the 16th June 2019 and relate to the 17 (Blackrock-Rialto route), 17A (Blanchardstown-Kilbarrack route), 104 (Clontarf-DCU route), 114 (Blackrock-Ticknock) and 220 (Lady’s Well Road-DCU route).

    A summary is below, and the timetables are available now on both the www.transportforireland.ie and www.goaheadireland.ie websites.

    17A - Blanchardstown to Kilbarrack route
    - Morning peak departures revised. Improved 10 minute frequency, from Kilbarrack, between 0655 and 0750

    17 Blackrock - Rialto route
    - Morning peak departures revised. 10 minute frequency from Rialto between 0640 and 0710
    - Apart from the 17D route, all journeys operate the entire length of the route (i.e. there are no short trips, terminating at UCD mid route)
    - The 17C route no longer operates, all the previous 17C journeys are converted into 17 journeys meaning UCD is served on every trip

    114 Blackrock - Ticknock route
    - Trip running times have been reviewed to account for variable traffic conditions

    220 Lady's Well Road - DCU route
    - Trip running times have been reviewed to account for variable traffic conditions
    - 0842 from Lady's Well Road now leaves at 0810 in order to provide better connections for school times.
    - Stop 94 on Ballymun Road will no longer be served by the 220/220A. This is due to the fact the bus must cross several lanes of traffic to turn right at the next junction.

    104 Clontarf Road – DCU route
    - Trip running times have been reviewed to account for variable traffic conditions
    - Departures/Arrivals at DCU have moved slightly
    - On Sunday, the last two trips continue all the way through to Clontarf Station (as opposed to terminating at Beaumont Hospital)
    - The timetable has been revised on this route so that most arrive in DCU a quarter to the hour and leave approximately 10 mins after the hour; to facilitate the start and end of lectures. RTPI Apps.

    Full details at:
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/customers-benefit-go-ahead-ireland-timetable-changes

    Seems like some fairly sensible changes, nice too see their adjusting timetables due to traffic levels. I think a few of their other routes as well as plenty of Dublin bus routes could do with the same treatment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ p_haugh
    Registered User


    I wonder what prompted them to scrap the 17C?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    p_haugh wrote: »
    I wonder what prompted them to scrap the 17C?

    I believe the plan was to scrap as soon as the Owenstown Park entrance to UCD from Fosters Avenue but I'm not sure if it's actually reopened or will buses continue to do a loop around the N11


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭ Polar101
    Registered User


    I wish they had moved the 220 departure to 8:15 (and not 8:10), which is what it was before they moved it to 8:42. That was handy for me after night shifts. I know it's only a 5-minute difference, but I'm not able to make the connection now. Obviously this bus is meant for schoolchildren and not random night workers, but now there's also a big gap between 8:10 and 9:28.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭ dublinman1990
    Registered User


    The changes to the 114 timetable are alright for the most part.

    It's good that they have their first bus from Blackrock on M-F's leaving 10 minutes earlier than planned at the new time of 7:40am rather than 7:50am. But the last bus from Blackrock leaves at 22:45 rather 23:45. They just have the last bus at 23:45 from Blackrock on Saturday's only.

    On Sunday's; they begin their buses 10 minutes later at 10:30 in the morning from Ticknock then it's an hourly frequency until the middle of Sunday evening with the last bus at 19:25. From Blackrock; the bus leaves at 12:50 rather than 12:45 and then the last bus leaves Blackrock at 21:50 rather than at 21:55.

    Just on the bus allocation for the 114. Are Go-Ahead making any plans to put more single deckers on the route when this new timetable is out from the 16th? I did see a Streetlite on the 114 heading down to Blackrock this evening. I saw it go past me when I was putting my shopping through the tills in Dunnes Stores at the Playwright on Newtownpark Avenue. It was the first time ever that I had seen it on the route. It didn't appear to be too full when I was looking at it going past Dunnes. TIA.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    The changes to the 114 timetable are alright for the most part.

    It's good that they have their first bus from Blackrock on M-F's leaving 10 minutes earlier than planned at the new time of 7:40am rather than 7:50am. But the last bus from Blackrock leaves at 22:45 rather 23:45. They just have the last bus at 23:45 from Blackrock on Saturday's only.

    On Sunday's; they begin their buses 10 minutes later at 10:30 in the morning from Ticknock then it's an hourly frequency until the middle of Sunday evening with the last bus at 19:25. From Blackrock; the bus leaves at 12:50 rather than 12:45 and then the last bus leaves Blackrock at 21:50 rather than at 21:55.

    Just on the bus allocation for the 114. Are Go-Ahead making any plans to put more single deckers on the route when this new timetable is out from the 16th? I did see a Streetlite on the 114 heading down to Blackrock this evening. I saw it go past me when I was putting my shopping through the tills in Dunnes Stores at the Playwright on Newtownpark Avenue. It was the first time ever that I had seen it on the route. It didn't appear to be too full when I was looking at it going past Dunnes. TIA.

    It's an odd one alright moving the last bus to an earlier time. Although I did think that 23:45 was very late to run a last bus on a low demand route like the 114 so perhaps this journey served few passengers. I presume that the 20:45, 21:45, 22:45 and 23:45 departures from Blackrock on the 114 operate inbound 17 departures to Blackrock and then go back out as a 114 to Ticknock then head back to Ballymount.

    I presume the reason for the double deckers on the 114 is because they are interworked with the 17 just like the 63 gets double deckers as it's interworked with the 75, 45a and 59 all of which do require double deckers but not the 63. A few Streetlites have ended up on the 17 so it doesn't surprise me they've gone onto the 114 aswell.

    The routes are single deck operated are generally interworked with other single deck routes for example the 184/185, 104/220 and the 33a/102.


  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭ Tarabuses
    Registered User


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I believe the plan was to scrap as soon as the Owenstown Park entrance to UCD from Fosters Avenue but I'm not sure if it's actually reopened or will buses continue to do a loop around the N11

    The Owenstown entrance was never closed but no longer allows access to the bus station, and never will due to new construction over the previous access road.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Tarabuses wrote: »
    The Owenstown entrance was never closed but no longer allows access to the bus station, and never will due to new construction over the previous access road.

    I wasn't aware of that but this makes the move of running all 17s through UCD seem daft.


  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭ Tarabuses
    Registered User


    Tarabuses wrote: »
    The Owenstown entrance was never closed but no longer allows access to the bus station, and never will due to new construction over the previous access road.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that but this makes the move of running all 17s through UCD seem daft.

    It certainly does.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Tarabuses wrote: »
    It certainly does.

    Appears to be part of the NTAs new bizarre policy of adding lengthy detours to routes that were only part time for part of the day or certain trips into full time additional loops on the route permanently. This can be seen with the 185 going into Palermo full time, the 17a going into Beaumont full time and the 75 going into Dundrum Village.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭ dublinman1990
    Registered User


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Appears to be part of the NTAs new bizarre policy of adding lengthy detours to routes that were only part time for part of the day or certain trips into full time additional loops on the route permanently. This can be seen with the 185 going into Palermo full time, the 17a going into Beaumont full time and the 75 going into Dundrum Village.

    Don't forget the 111 being forced to go it's lengthy route in Loughlinstown Park & around the roundabout near St Columcille's Hospital.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ KD345
    Registered User


    Tidying up the 17 makes sense. It has always been confusing as to what services ran through Belfield. When Dublin Bus operated, their timetable didn’t match the NTA’s. Officially, all services were to serve Belfield all day Monday to Saturday but this was never enforced and buses skipped the campus at different times of the day. The timetable was never changed to reflect the new bus gate, and even though the RTPI displayed route 17 it didn’t always arrive.

    Belfield is a busy place on a Sunday and having a bus service there is important. The old attitude of relaxing bus services on a Sunday is thankfully changing.

    I don’t see the issue with the 111 serving Loughlinstown Hospital. It was a request from locals in Sallynoggin and Ballybrack for years to have a bus to the hospital. The 111 is a local service and this is what a local service does. I guarantee if they removed the service from Loughlinstown Hospital tomorrow you’d have a campaign from local councilors fighting to ‘save our bus’.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Don't forget the 111 being forced to go it's lengthy route in Loughlinstown Park & around the roundabout near St Columcille's Hospital.

    That was there when it was with DB though. I was more referring to the changes that have been made by the NTA since GAI tookover. As the OP said though the 111 is really just a local community route that's mainly used by pensioners now and if people wanted a quicker route in the areas it serves they can always use the 7, 7a or 45a.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    I think a fair compromise would be to run the services as far as the flyover instead of actually going into the campus which adds journey time and complexity to the route. People are fine to leave the campus to catch a 46a, 145 or 155 so why not the same with the 17.


  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ ucdperson
    Registered User


    Tarabuses wrote: »
    The Owenstown entrance was never closed but no longer allows access to the bus station, and never will due to new construction over the previous access road.

    Owenstown Rd will never see a bus again. There is a new entrance to UCD from Foster Ave at the junction with North Avenue. This is only being used by constuction traffic at present, but should eventually link though to the area near the bus stops.

    Clarity as to which buses stop in UCD would be helpful, especially as there is little clarity in relation to other services.


  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭ Tarabuses
    Registered User


    ucdperson wrote: »
    Owenstown Rd will never see a bus again. There is a new entrance to UCD from Foster Ave at the junction with North Avenue. This is only being used by constuction traffic at present, but should eventually link though to the area near the bus stops.

    Clarity as to which buses stop in UCD would be helpful, especially as there is little clarity in relation to other services.

    The new entrance at North Avenue may well provide access to the bus stops but, looking at where the new buildings are being constructed, I am not sure that it will. The previous access road has been built over.


  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ xper
    Registered User


    The planning permission documents for the student residences currently under construction in UCD clearly show an access road running along a new alignment between the new buildings toward the existing ring road and bus terminus from the existing Owenstown entrance with bus stop bays provided so I do expect that routes 17 and 175 (or their Bus Connects replacements) will return to running through the campus rather than in and out through the main entrance (which will cut a good 7-8 minutes off the journey time). Could be another year or two yet though.

    Bus Connects also makes mention of moving the main campus bus park down to near the main entrance so it provides a major interchange between 3-4 orbital routes and two spines.



    Anyway, regarding the time table changes for the 17, I'm a bit disappointed. The headlined 10 minute morning frequency improvement only applies to the first hour eastbound and we will continue with just three departures between 8am and 9am when school/college traffic tends to widen the gap between the 8:10 and following departures. Have westbound evening services been thinned out a little? - I see some 35 minute gaps now. Plus there's now an official 5 minute wait in UCD for no good reason. Dropping the 17C variation and going into UCD on Sat evenings and Sundays is one good thing - I was really surprised to see the NTA continue that out-dated practice when handing the route over to Go Ahead in the first place.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Is the 175 due to get an increased service on the weekends? It seems to be getting good loadings and nearly all the GAI routes apart from the 175 have similar frequency at weekends that they have during on weekdays which I have to say has been a big positive for passengers also with many DB services getting increased weekend service especially on Sundays from the freed up capacity.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ weldoninhio


    17a in the mornings at rush hour is a complete joke now. Service seems to have gotten worse since they “improved” it. Constantly buses not running, especially towards Beaumont. At least 4 times in the last 7 working days a morning bus hasn’t turned up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Joegriffin2019
    Registered User


    17a in the mornings at rush hour is a complete joke now. Service seems to have gotten worse since they “improved” it. Constantly buses not running, especially towards Beaumont. At least 4 times in the last 7 working days a morning bus hasn’t turned up.

    They are been sneaky since they started storing buses in the airport. Buses are starting their journeys mid route in the mornings. Coming on to Coolock Lane from the motorway. You should email the NTA.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ RuleNumber6
    Registered User


    They are been sneaky since they started storing buses in the airport. Buses are starting their journeys mid route in the mornings. Coming on to Coolock Lane from the motorway. You should email the NTA.

    Evidence please, or are you just jumping to a conclusion?

    There seem regularly be at least 2 double deckers at the new outstation which go on the 17A. From what I have seen, they go 'Not In Service' from the Airport to start their trips at Kilbarrack so would come down the motorway along Coolock Lane to get to their terminus... :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Joegriffin2019
    Registered User


    Evidence please, or are you just jumping to a conclusion?

    There seem regularly be at least 2 double deckers at the new outstation which go on the 17A. From what I have seen, they go 'Not In Service' from the Airport to start their trips at Kilbarrack so would come down the motorway along Coolock Lane to get to their terminus... :rolleyes:

    3 times ive seen it so far. Not in service displayed then as soon as it hits Coolock lane... walla.. 17A Blanchardstown comes up. Stand at the roundabout one morning when your free and see for your self. I seen it as recently as Sunday. Yes even on a sunday!


  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Joegriffin2019
    Registered User


    Why would they go near Coolock lane to start their shifts? M50 to Blanch or R132 to kilbarrack. If there using Coolock lane, there going the long way so.


Advertisement