Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms of employment

Options
  • 04-06-2019 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I changed careers and decided to start again and do something I really want to do. I was interviewed, I was asked to advise what I wanted which I did ie do a 2 year apprenticeship which is 1 day in college and 4 days working and I stated the salary range that the college suggests. The employer checked previous referees and asked when I could start and agreed start date.

I intend to do a 2 year apprenticeship course which starts in September the condition of which is that I’m in relevant employment. I started that relevant employment today.

However we never agreed terms of employment such as pay hours etc. they use online HR service which I see says my holiday entitlement but nothing else. I was speaking to my boss at end of day and I asked as the apprenticeship is 2 years will I be on a 2 year training contract. His response is that he doesn’t know as he has never done this before. He suggested we review at the end of the year.

However I still don’t know on what terms I’m being employed right now. Should I come back to him with a suggestion. I think I should contact the college and see what employment contract they need for me to do course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You started a job without confirming a salary???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Batgurl wrote: »
    You started a job without confirming a salary???

Yea, that kinda shocked me.
    Have literally never known someone to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Yes stupid in hindsight

I was desperate to get into this career

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would assume I you are on a contract of indefinite duration, unless advised otherwise.

That said, legally they have five days to tell you in writing:

Their full name and address (this can be the company name/ address)
    How long they think your job will last for
    The pay rate
    How many hours you will probably work in a normal week.

I would say nothing, given that you want the job. Just see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes stupid in hindsight

I was desperate to get into this career

Its done now..
    Head down and learn to make it worthwhile..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

I think I know what apprenticeship scheme this is. You should be on a 2 year fixed term (definite duration) contract which covers the duration of the apprenticeship. You are entitled to a statement setting out the terms and conditions of your employment. Do you have a contact person from the organisation running the scheme? They should be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks misguided. It’s the property business.

I spoke to the college. As the employment is a condition of doing the course. However they said it’s not up to them what type of employment it is.

Advertisement