Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

av receiver question

Options
  • 03-06-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi.

1 I have denon 1911. It has "multistereo" function allowing you to play
    stereo source through surround speakers too. Only bugger is : it only transmits LFE to subwoofer when in that mode (LFE+low doesn't work).

I'm about to switch do 4K receiver but i want to have multistereo WITH subwoofer. Any one with reletively new receiver (one still in shops) could play some music from CD and see if it activates SW in multistereo? (it has to be music CD as movie may have LFE track). TBH I'm using 5.1 occasionally and multistereo way more often. I would use a stereo amp if i could but most items nowdays is hdmi only, and i would have to keep tv on all the time when listening (as i could get sound from devices only through tv via optical)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

LFE channel is encoded in the various shades of Dolby Digital and DTS so you won't get a true "LFE" when playing multi-channel stereo mode on your Denon - try using dolby prologic or one of the similar matrixed settings on your Denon which take a stereo input signal and process it into pseudo-surround, this should use the subwoofer to reinforce the bass element of the sound. The surround settings are set out in the user manual for the denon, page 28 onwards - you can find it here http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/68716_en.pdf if you haven't got the original to hand.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Thank you. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't want LFE, nor any kind of surround. I want a stereo audio source to playback simultaneously through 4 speakers (front + surround) accompanied with subwoofer. So AV receiver crossover/Low pass filter need to pass some of lower frequencies to subwoofer and speakers.

Using menu 4-1-3 bass settings i turned on SW output using: SW mode: LFE+main
    Also i have it set in receiver LPF to 80Hz (lowest possible) even though my speakers are 30-20kHz, and also my subwoofer high filter is set to around 80Hz too . (page 55)
    My understanding is that it should transfer all signal below 80Hz to subwoofer (not clear as if it is still passed to speakers or not and if it is not then 80Hz is ridiculously high for lowest setting with front speakers marked as "large" (there is large or small to choose from in settings).

All works grand when you are in stereo mode. When i go to "multi ch stereo" I have FEELING that subwoofer goes dead and on top of it LPF is still cutting signal to fronts @ 80Hz. I just tried: played youtube clip using tv through receiver with my hand inside bass reflex tunnel of subwoofer:
    in stereo mode (selected by direct/stereo button) subwoofer is fully on. When i switch (using same button) to direct mode sw is still on but you can feel and hear that less active. When switched to multi ch stereo (using button simulation) subwoofer goes dead.

On the page 28 there is no such option available there is no "multi stereo" output mentioned (it is accessible through simulation button on remote - it is listed on page 30 but not explained there either).

Table on page 72 (7th line from the bottom) is mentioning sw being used in multistereo setting, but table on page 73 has no subwoofer marked in active outputs I'm failing to find difference between tables..

What i want from new receiver is to not to have same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Just got answer from Denon. It looks so in multi ch stereo LPF only sends stuff to SW when "small" speakers are selected. And i guess then it doesn't transfer LF part of music to speakers.
    I bet no one can find that info in manual.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,
    It has "multistereo" function allowing you to play
    stereo source through surround speakers too. Only bugger is : it only transmits LFE to subwoofer when in that mode (LFE+low doesn't work).
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't want LFE, nor any kind of surround. I want a stereo audio source to playback simultaneously through 4 speakers (front + surround) accompanied with subwoofer.
    Just got answer from Denon. It looks so in multi ch stereo LPF only sends stuff to SW when "small" speakers are selected. And i guess then it doesn't transfer LF part of music to speakers.
    I bet no one can find that info in manual.

Indeed, it would appear that I didn't understand your initial post, LFE has a particular meaning to me in surround sound formats. Also, I don't recognise the "LPF" acronym.

But no matter, it's great that Denon were able to solve this for you, if you need to do a manual set-up of your speakers in the future, you can find details of the speaker settings (Large and Small) and the relationship to the subwoofer on page 54 of the manual.

Cheers,

Ritz.

Advertisement