Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower not starting

Options
  • 02-06-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've a Husq walk-behind mower. Has only done maybe 2 seasons and has been serviced. Nephew used mower last week and cleaned it by tipping on its side. Mower wouldn't start today.
    I opened the air filter housing and the filter is saturated in what looks like oil. I've downloaded the service manual and it says not to tip mower on the air filter side.. Too late for that advice!
    I left the filter off entirely to see if I could start it, but still no joy. Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

your carburetor could be flooded too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Take out the plug and see if it is wet with oil. Also check the oil level in the engine to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

I didn't see the responses before I went disassembling. Have had a consistent problem with the recoil starter not actually recoiling, so I took that off. The magnetic wheel underneath was also rubbing where it shouldn't have been so a adjusted that.

Air filter/breather assembly was saturated in oil. New filter ordered. Spark plug was coated in oil so cleaned that out and cleaned out carburetor tool. Put it back together, topped up the oil it started first time, with some coughing/spluttering after a few seconds.

That evening I cut maybe 800m2 of lawn and then engine just stopped. Couldn't start it again.
    There's a manual throttle adjustment on the engine which I know I moved when cleaning, so not sure I have it set to optimum. I might have it revved too high. Would engine have a cut off if things got too hot? Was able to start again the next morning no problem.

Advertisement