Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shampoo for frizzy hair?

Options
  • 01-06-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend good shampoo for frizzy hair?

Thinking of getting a redkin one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It really depends on your hair type, can you give any information on what kind of hair you have?
    My hair is very thick and wavy so I can use heavy shampoos and conditioners that add moisture and finish off with lots of hair oil - this helps with my frizzy hair but would be terrible for someone with fine hair.
    Maybe ask a hairdresser what they would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Check out r/curlyhair on reddit. There's a whole wiki of products to try and goes into a lot of detail about hair type.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I have fine hair, it seems mad but I have greasy and frizzy hair at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I'd put a photo up on reddit/r/curly and tell people what products you use and what issues you're having. Honestly the feedback is very helpful!

Doesnt sound like your hair is curly, just frizzy, curly hair is usually quite thick and is a very different texture to fine hair. You will most likely hate any products suited to someone with curly hair as theyre thick and heavy with moisturizing ingredients that will weigh your hair down.

You might be better off only using shampoo and skipping conditioner entirely or use a very light one and only use it on the ends of your hair. Use dry shampoo for in between wash days.
    Blow drying your hair with a round brush and using hot tools like a straightener will also get rid of any frizz and try some anti frizz creams.

Id really suggest asking a hairdresser who can have a good look at your hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have highlighted hair which has always been prone to frizz. The biggest difference for me has been going sulphate and silicone free. Silicone is in so many products as can help frizzy hair initially but leaves a coating on each strand which stops absorption of moisture and so will eventually dry it out and make it much worse. Sulphate shampoos are the only thing that remove silicones (they suds up in your hair) but also dry hair out even more so you need to avoid these too.

Even if your hair is frizzy rather than curly, you can use this method by pretty much following the curly girl/ no poo method and there are lots of forums around this on reddit, facebook groups etc. Unfortunately there is a nasty transition period where your hair gets worse as all the natural oils aren't being removed with your sulphate shampoo but it pays to stick at it as in the long term your hair improves so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Not a shampoo but I'd recommend this stuff: https://www.lookfantastic.com/color-wow-dream-coat-supernatural-spray-200ml/11516014.html

It's bloody miraculous, it prevents frizz, protects from humidity and best of all, only needs to be used every three washes!

lubie76 wrote: »

Even if your hair is frizzy rather than curly, you can use this method by pretty much following the curly girl/ no poo method and there are lots of forums around this on reddit, facebook groups etc. Unfortunately there is a nasty transition period where your hair gets worse as all the natural oils aren't being removed with your sulphate shampoo but it pays to stick at it as in the long term your hair improves so much.

I have thick curly hair and dont use shampoo because it drys my hair out, my hair doesnt get oily quickly so I can go without shampoo. Advising someone with fine hair that already suffers from oily scalp to go without shampoo isnt helpful, frizz isnt always caused by dryness and if she's already got oily hair leaving out shampoo will be horrendous for her.
    OP please just ask a hairdresser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I have fine curly hair and I used to suffer from an oily scalp and dry ends, mostly from over washing and dye/heat damage.

For the past year or so I have limited washing my hair to twice a week, and only one of those times with shampoo + conditioner, conditioner only the other time.

If I get a residue build up I use a clarifying shampoo followed by a conditioning treatment.

But the biggest success has been to use Olaplex 3 every 4 weeks or so - the difference is amazing - it literally repairs my hair!

Im not using sulphate/silicone free - I use Loreal Dream lengths - they have 4 products, ordinary shampoo and conditioner, then a treatment and then a leave in conditioner - which I use on my hair between washes.

Now I can wear my hair in its natural curls (which hasnt been the case for decades) without it being frizzy.

I am considering the No Poo method........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have thick curly hair and dont use shampoo because it drys my hair out, my hair doesnt get oily quickly so I can go without shampoo. Advising someone with fine hair that already suffers from oily scalp to go without shampoo isnt helpful, frizz isnt always caused by dryness and if she's already got oily hair leaving out shampoo will be horrendous for her.
    OP please just ask a hairdresser

I never told her not to use shampoo, I told her not to use a sulphate shampoo. I use shampoo in my hair 3 times a week without sulphates and I've the exact same hair type as the OP, dry and oily scalp. Ingredients in curly girl/no poo shampoos use gentle cleansers to clean the hair instead of harsh sulphates.

You may be speaking in terms of your own hair and what works for you which you said yourself is nothing like the OP's hair - I'm just saying what works for mine which is similar to hers - I think she is here to listen to different opinions but ultimately needs to make up her own mind or speak to her hairdresser.

• Advertisement

Thanks I have elave shampoo at home which is free from Zulphates , I just bought the John freda frizz shampoo, so going to see what that is like. Thanks for all ur help 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Not a shampoo but I'd recommend this stuff: https://www.lookfantastic.com/color-wow-dream-coat-supernatural-spray-200ml/11516014.html

It's bloody miraculous, it prevents frizz, protects from humidity and best of all, only needs to be used every three washes!

Between this product, and semi regular 16 week blow drys, I would swear my hair has never been in better condition

kcdiom wrote: »
    Between this product, and semi regular 16 week blow drys, I would swear my hair has never been in better condition

How do you use this and how often?

....... wrote: »
    How do you use this and how often?

Its heat activated, so only works if you are going to blow dry your hair. Basically section your hair, spray each section (I spray a section, dry it, spray another section, dry it etc), use a barrel brush to pull the hair taut, and blow dry. Leaves my hair feeling so sleek and is the closest thing to a salon blow dry I have ever achieved at home. You don't need to use it every time you wash your hair, I would use it every other time when I am in between 16 week blow drys.

Its heat activated, so only works if you are going to blow dry your hair. Basically section your hair, spray each section (I spray a section, dry it, spray another section, dry it etc), use a barrel brush to pull the hair taut, and blow dry. Leaves my hair feeling so sleek and is the closest thing to a salon blow dry I have ever achieved at home. You don't need to use it every time you wash your hair, I would use it every other time when I am in between 16 week blow drys.

Thanks, Ill try it out.

Mixed reviews on the link given.

Thanks, Ill try it out.

Mixed reviews on the link given.

Different things work for different people ;)

Different things work for different people ;)

Exactly - I normally never blow dry.

I wonder would it work with hair straighteners heat?

Exactly - I normally never blow dry.

I wonder would it work with hair straighteners heat?

I'm not sure actually - I would imagine it would to a certain extent though, heat is heat isnt it.

I wonder do certain lighting and mirrors make your hair frizz appear worse. When I look in the mirror at work it always appears worse than at home.

Anyway that John Frieda shampoo was crap, waste of money. I’m using Elave shampoo but I feel than it doesn’t help the greasy hair part.

I feel like my hair is fine later in the evening and night, just early in the morning and throughout the day that’s when it’s at it’s worse.

fin12 wrote: »
    I wonder do certain lighting and mirrors make your hair frizz appear worse. When I look in the mirror at work it always appears worse than at home.

Anyway that John Frieda shampoo was crap, waste of money. I’m using Elave shampoo but I feel than it doesn’t help the greasy hair part.

I feel like my hair is fine later in the evening and night, just early in the morning and throughout the day that’s when it’s at it’s worse.

How often are you washing it?

Do you use a leave in conditioner when you dont wash it?

I only wash mine twice a week (and one of those times I try to only use conditioner, no shampoo) and in between I put leave in conditioner it in. I use 2 different one, a spray (argan oil spray) and the Loreal Dream lengths ones.

Although I dont wash my hair daily, the ends get wet in the shower or exposed to weather so I feel like they need the bit of extra conditioner on non wash days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement