Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C# or Java for jobs in Dublin

Options
  • 01-06-2019 1:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi Guys,

I'm a PHP developer for a new job. I want to move to C# or Java.

Which would be king 👑for software development in terms of job opportunities. I have some minor experience in both. I also have JavaScript experience.

Which framework would be better than to learn Spring or .Net Core and where would be the best place to learn it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

coredev123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Which framework would be better than to learn Spring or .Net Core and where would be the best place to learn it?

Maybe it's just me but both of those seem like riskier prospects than JavaScript (specifically Node and React).

Spring is looking a bit long in the tooth now. .Net Core has a lot of promise, but it's still early days.

Meanwhile there is a lot of demand for fullstack JS devs everywhere.

I am somewhat removed from the Dublin jobs market now though, so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Maybe it's just me but both of those seem like riskier prospects than JavaScript (specifically Node and React).

Spring is looking a bit long in the tooth now. .Net Core has a lot of promise, but it's still early days.

Meanwhile there is a lot of demand for fullstack JS devs everywhere.

I am somewhat removed from the Dublin jobs market now though, so bear that in mind.

.NET Core is version 2 and version 3 is in final preview so not really early days in my opinion.

I'd consider Node development far more niche than having Java/C# to build your backend.

Javascript with Angular/React would be required regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Spring is looking a bit long in the tooth now.

Eh? Spring-boot v2 is brand new, loads of companies want it (for good reason) and companies can't get devs for love nor money.

with .NET vs Java, it is hard to say. Some companies tend to be .NET (especially in consulting), others Java, others have both, especially with more and more companies moving to Microservices.

Both would have good job prospects. I only tend to recommend Java as an option over .NET in that it is often (perceived to be?) easier to move from Java to other techs/tools than from a .NET world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Advertisement