Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COnfused

Options
  • 01-06-2019 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm very stressed about my husbands citizenship application. He is living with me in Ireland for the last 5 years and is entitled to apply for citizenship now. We filled the application. However I am receiving Jobseeker's Allowance for the last couple of years (due to difficulty finding work) and he is on my payment as a qualified adult. I now feel guilty that this could ruin his chance for citizenship. I amnt aware of the laws surrounding this. However unlike me he does not need to be applying for work. He fully intends to work and will start doing so shortly. On the application form it asks if he receives social welfare. Can he say no because he does not receive it I do? He gets no letters or communication from social welfare so does he say yes or no here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If he doesn't receive any payment in his own right (I mean, a payment made directly to him) then he must answer no. If they're asking details and supporting evidence of how he supports himself he tells them you're supporting him at the moment and include a letter from SW detailing your payment.

OP the citizenship process is incredibly slow. A Scottish friend of mine has been going through it for 2 over years now. Every 3 to 6 months he's sent a letter asking for various documents then radio silence again. The last time they were asking details of his spouse's income and evidence he lives here (he's retired). Try not to stress over this. It drags on and on and not hearing anything for months on end and being asked to send the same stuff a few times doesn't mean anything in and of itself. Hopefully, you'll both be back working by the time you hear back again and evidence of same can be forwarded to them, and if not you'd send evidence of your SW payment. Try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I now feel guilty that this could ruin his chance for citizenship.

Not if you are legally married in Ireland , its all about whether its a genuine marriage or not by that i mean not just legally they will ask questions like name his siblings ask you both separately how you met.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not if you are legally married in Ireland , its all about whether its a genuine marriage or not by that i mean not just legally they will ask questions like name his siblings ask you both separately how you met.

Can you not take a job in a bar or a waitre/ssing or in a spar if you think this might be the factor holding him back. If nothing else it might reassure them and you and help speed the application

I now feel guilty that this could ruin his chance for citizenship.

No they will not. This is not how they work at all.

Can you not take a job in a bar or a waitre/ssing or in a spar if you think this might be the factor holding him back. If nothing else it might reassure them and you and help speed the application
    OP working or not will not speed up the application. The whole process is very slow to begin with and is currently backlogged. OP's employment status has no bearing on how quickly their partner's application is processed.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    No they will not. This is not how they work at all.
    Are you speaking to me?

Oh really it is.

But to qualify you need to be married 3 yrs and one yrs of continuous residence before the date of you application. And before that he has to have lived here continuously for at least 2 of the 4 previous years before that year.

The no one thing is it being a genuine relationship.

Funny story actually an Irish guy who was marring a foreign national had to answer questions on the spot about her family. He got ALL of those ones right. They then asked him questions about himself. They asked if he had siblings (they have the notes infront of them) he answered no...but he had a sister. She slipped his mind! He could remember his wifes uncle but not his sister!

It doesn't. Once they have the number of yrs residency etc its a waiting game.

I have a friend who was unemployed during the time his wife became a citizen it actually took shorter than two other friends who both had good jobs.

This was because the residency of the first wife had been more permanent. Whereas the second couple traveled back and forth a lot.

Op's spouse is living in Ireland 5 years. He is entitled to apply for citizenship on that reason alone. His marital status has no bearing on things now. If he and OP split up in the morning he'd still be able to continue his citizenship application.

Op's spouse is living in Ireland 5 years. He is entitled to apply for citizenship on that reason alone. His marital status has no bearing on things now. If he and OP split up in the morning he'd still be able to continue his citizenship application.

The application would have to then be based on residency time and not marriage status.

And they might in that case be more concerned it was a genuine relationship. If it wasn't that could affect his application based on residency time.

Plus the residency status his was on would have to change he would have to get a stamp 4 visa card. To get that his wife would have to go with him to GNIB offices.

I assume right now he is on a perm resident card based on being married to an Irish citizen.

Just because you have started your application doesn't mean you can stay while its done (because it takes years)

Part 7
    There are no rights of retention of residence in the event of separation/divorce.
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

That is from the govt website.

They would want to know what visa he was on before his marriage the years only count if its the right visa. Its likely he was on a stamp 1 work visa before. Stamp 4 is only granted to spouses of Irish citizens. They are two totally different visas.

He would have to hire am immigration lawyer. It would be a mess.

He could do it etc. No guarantees though.

OP has stated he is applying for citizenship because he's resident here for 5 years.

OP has stated he is applying for citizenship because he's resident here for 5 years.
    Then she doesn't come in to the picture at all. He'll be considered on his own merits. Sorry i misread her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement