Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cao courses. Urgent!!!!!

Options
  • 01-06-2019 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

So my No1 is medicine but after the hpat I'm really second guessing myself. I know this is really late but is engineering a good course and what other course should I look into before tomorrow. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look into courses that interest you. Presuming since Medicine is your number one you might also have an interest in nursing, physiotherapy, other related medical/health areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭smartboyz

Not really. Medicine is no 1 cause I wanted to become a surgeon and it's the only one I knew at a young age. I'm not really interested in physiotherapy and stuff like that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe a visit to a careers guidance person might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

Hi, I also did the HPAT this year & want to do medicine. My advice to you is if you want to do engineering, do f"!£$%g engineering, if you want to do medicine, do medicine. As you've probably figured out medicine is a really long college course and you've to put in serious hard graft, I really wish that I didn't want to do it but I want to do it so bad. If you think you'd be happy with engineering, go for it, employment is good and if you have any sort of physics/maths brain you'll be absolutely fine, and it'll also be very challenging but equally as rewarding if it's your interest. Best of luck in the future.

Hi, I also did the HPAT this year & want to do medicine. My advice to you is if you want to do engineering, do f"!£$%g engineering, if you want to do medicine, do medicine. As you've probably figured out medicine is a really long college course and you've to put in serious hard graft, I really wish that I didn't want to do it but I want to do it so bad. If you think you'd be happy with engineering, go for it, employment is good and if you have any sort of physics/maths brain you'll be absolutely fine, and it'll also be very challenging but equally as rewarding if it's your interest. Best of luck in the future.

Hey thanks . I was wondering what else did you put on your cao and how's the studying going

Goodluck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

smartboyz wrote: »
    Not really. Medicine is no 1 cause I wanted to become a surgeon and it's the only one I knew at a young age. I'm not really interested in physiotherapy and stuff like that

Then why engineering?
    Don't rush into some other alternative. Take the hpat again if you need to and apply next year.

Worst thing you can do is choose something you don't want.
    Waste a year on a course, lose your free fees for that year, possibly ruin your chances of doing what you want.

Then why engineering?
    Don't rush into some other alternative. Take the hpat again if you need to and apply next year.

Worst thing you can do is choose something you don't want.
    Waste a year on a course, lose your free fees for that year, possibly ruin your chances of doing what you want.

Engineering was always no 2 if I didn't get medicine. I researched alot of other course(pharmacy.science. maths. Biomedical science and others) but none of them really interested me. And im not too keen on waiting another year doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

smartboyz wrote: »
    Engineering was always no 2 if I didn't get medicine. I researched alot of other course(pharmacy.science. maths. Biomedical science and others) but none of them really interested me. And im not too keen on waiting another year doing nothing.

Ok.
    Engineering is very broad and nothing at all like medicine.
    You can do medicine in many countries, all which have different entry requirements, so that's always worth a look.

You wouldn't spend a year doing nothing, you can work, travel, study etc. Better to spend a year doing those things than 4 years doing a course you're not committed to.

Take a step back and look at your options.
    If you want to do medicine, then do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Engineering is a very tough course and I don't think that I would recommend it unless you're really passionate about it. It does have good employment prospects but I wouldn't go for it over Medicine if that's what you would prefer.

A97 wrote: »
    Engineering is a very tough course and I don't think that I would recommend it unless you're really passionate about it. It does have good employment prospects but I wouldn't go for it over Medicine if that's what you would prefer.

Im not choosing it over medicine. It's just if I don't get medicine I don't have the resources to go to another country to do it. Also my brother was a similar case. He wanted to do medicine really bad. Didn't get it the first time, repeated and didn't get it again and he's doing engineering and he graduated with a first class. But if I get the points for medicine I'm 100% doing it

• Advertisement
Advertisement