Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving at 4

Options
  • 31-05-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi, I work on finance, currently doing a maternity cover close to m50 but living in north side Dublin.

I usually finish at 4 to allow me collect the kids from the creche but the workload has increased recently. I m starting earlier as leaving later it's not a viable option. The problem of doing contract roles is that you need to prove the company that you are serious about your work every time you start a new role. When you have been working in the same company for a while is easier to get flexi time. I have seen a couple of interesting roles in the current place but it demands to work from a different office further away and longer hours during month end. I would like to find a permanent position but one that allows me to finish at 4. Would you have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hi, I work on finance, currently doing a maternity cover close to m50 but living in north side Dublin.

I usually finish at 4 to allow me collect the kids from the creche but the workload has increased recently. I m starting earlier as leaving later it's not a viable option. The problem of doing contract roles is that you need to prove the company that you are serious about your work every time you start a new role. When you have been working in the same company for a while is easier to get flexi time. I have seen a couple of interesting roles in the current place but it demands to work from a different office further away and longer hours during month end. I would like to find a permanent position but one that allows me to finish at 4. Would you have any advice?

Can you work remotely at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

yes, i usually log in from home for an hour or so after 8. In the current role I can work from home 1 day a week except during month end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you have the flexibility in your current role (while not permanent) at least you can get to collect the kids. You could apply for other roles and if offered ask if flexible working is an option. Personally I think you'd be mad to have a longer commute. I feel your pain, I've two smallies and it aint easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would talk to my manager. If you're doing a good job, they are aware of it, and if they have the ability to let you leave on time they will make arrangements.

I would figure out which tasks I can do from home, and suggest that to my boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

What support do you have in place for the month end.
    One of the key problems is that in the month end work is normally time sensitive with fixed deadlines and you will be a link in the process. Flexi-time would only work if there is a lot of downtime built in. The normal expectation will be that you are at your desk for as long as it takes to finish your bits. If next person is delayed by your 'dropping an hour', they will not be long in objecting to having to work additional hours or miss their handover deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jameshealy19

If you're only doing maternity cover maybe you shouldn't take the job too seriously at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Etray reviewer

Life is too short...Join the Civil Service!

Advertisement