Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay IMRO and PPI in 2019?

Options
  • 31-05-2019 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I'm new here!

As a small biz owner of a spa, I have one location and 10 staff. I play royalty-free spa music in rooms and Spotify in the reception area. When I first opened in 2010 I paid the charges only to Imro, and was under 200 euro at the time I think?

A few years later and they added PPI, and started charging more for everything.

Obviously, I don't want to break the law, but when I went through a tough time a few years ago, these were the bills that weren't paid. I find it hard enough to keep business going without more unreasonable charges..

Anyway - just wondering do any other small business owners have a way out of this or a solution? My husband suggested I try using bgm-station.com/en live music direct from their station without adds, as a solution instead of Spotify? and just use spa CDs in rooms.

Any advice?

HAs anyone ever actually been taken to court by imro? Are they a company or a national governing body? As in how much authority do they really have on this?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The shoe shop case is probably the one to look at. When this happened it seemed as if no one would have to pay it but it's not planned out like that really. I decided to challenge them on it one year and they just dont pay any attention to it so you're only option is to go legal on it and hope for the best I figured it wasnt worth the hassle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/court-case-means-music-royalty-claims-against-retailers-now-in-doubt-1.1359057%3fmode=amp

Why do you think its unreasonable? I dont like having to pay these things but at the same time I think it's reasonable for the people who create the music to receive something for it even if I disagree with how its distributed.

If you're able to get some copyright free music or even create your own then think you can get round at least some of it that way but then you get what you pay for with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

bizgirl wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new here!

As a small biz owner of a spa, I have one location and 10 staff. I play royalty-free spa music in rooms and Spotify in the reception area. When I first opened in 2010 I paid the charges only to Imro, and was under 200 euro at the time I think?

Obviously, I don't want to break the law, but when I went through a tough time a few years ago, these were the bills that weren't paid. I find it hard enough to keep business going without more unreasonable charges..

Anyway - just wondering do any other small business owners have a way out of this or a solution? My husband suggested I try using bgm-station.com/en live music direct from their station without adds, as a solution instead of Spotify? and just use spa CDs in rooms.

Any advice?

HAs anyone ever actually been taken to court by imro? Are they a company or a national governing body? As in how much authority do they really have on this?

Thanks for any help!

Yes they have.

Both are collected by the same company now, IMRO, but PPI was always payable. For a spa you should be able to find royalty free music for the reception too.

Hi all, I'm new here!

Any advice?

Thanks for any help!

Yes they have.

Both are collected by the same company now, IMRO, but PPI was always payable. For a spa you should be able to find royalty free music for the reception too.

Hi all, I'm new here!

Any advice?

Thanks for any help!

Yes they have.

Advertisement