Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle on your dog?

Options
  • 30-05-2019 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all!
    I live in the countryside and have a German shepherd. The law states that this breed of dog should be muzzled in public places.
    I walk my dog most days and was wondering would my dog have to muzzled while on a lead on a country back road.

I'm having an issue with another dog owner where their 2 quite large dogs (which they walk off the lead) make a run for us very aggressively baring teeth and barking as if they were going to attack.

They said to me that my dog should be muzzled after I said a few words to them about keeping their dogs on a lead and they threatened to ring the guards.

My dog doesnt even bark back at them (big softy).
    They don't see that their dogs could potentially hurt me and my dog.

Would like to hear your opinions or what the law is with muzzling dogs in the country side.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

Like the guards would investigate a dog without a muzzle/lead. They probably would if the dog attacked someone and injured them then I'd imagine it's your liability but who knows that's another days work. So your both wrong and if these dogs are annoying you so much try a different route? And the laws first result is https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/child/childsafety/law-dog.html http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/si/156/made/en/print for dogs off a leash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm afraid in the eyes of a dog warden, you both are in the wrong. Your own dog, rightly or wrongly, should be muzzled. Their dog should be under effective control and whilst this doesn't necessarily mean leads, running up to other dogs and displaying aggressive behaviour is not under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kib4renn

Like the guards would investigate a dog without a muzzle/lead. They probably would if the dog attacked someone and injured them then I'd imagine it's your liability but who knows that's another days work. So your both wrong and if these dogs are annoying you so much try a different route? And the laws first result is

Hey
    I would go another route but the road I meet them on is by my house.
    I know I'm in the wrong not muzzling her but the way it is I cant as she wouldn't stand a chance against their 2 dogs with it on. I'd have to stand back and watch them savage her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

We’ve a Pom & a Yorkie x, both are muzzle trained & I carry them both on their leads. Neither view them as a negative and at times they are a blessing to have. Also most people work out that neither of our dogs like dogs running up to them weather we are on or off lead, so when they see the muzzles they usually divert which suits us.

Invest in a Baskerville, there’s a great video on pet the vets website that is brilliant and really helped me to train my two but also to change my perspective of muzzles.

In regards to the law. if you are walking on privately owned roads, then it’s up to the owner, if it’s on public roads, ie council, or NTA then yes, he should be muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Quandary

I have a large shepherd malamute cross and I have a soft muzzle on him at all times in public. If I were you I would put a soft muzzle on her and carry a strong stick with you. If nothing else it will be a visual deterrent and in the unlikely event your dog gets attacked it would be better than nothing.

Some dog owners are completely irresponsible and have no business owning a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Kib4renn wrote: »
    Hey
    I would go another route but the road I meet them on is by my house.
    I know I'm in the wrong not muzzling her but the way it is I cant as she wouldn't stand a chance against their 2 dogs with it on. I'd have to stand back and watch them savage her.

In the interest of your dog, find a different route or teach her how to ignore them and focus on you while you pass them, are they gated? Or can you at last walk in different side?

With our Pom, she’s not reactive but doesn’t like meeting other dogs that much, so I’ve been able to teach her how to display calming signals or to focus entirely on me. I also have a shedload of food on me so generally have found that by shouting away and chucking food at the approaching dog they’ll choose the food over us.

She’s worked out that when I do that she stays by my side, follows me so in turn avoids meeting the other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kib4renn

em_cat wrote: »
    In the interest of your dog, find a different route or teach her how to ignore them and focus on you while you pass them, are they gated? Or can you at last walk in different side?

With our Pom, she’s not reactive but doesn’t like meeting other dogs that much, so I’ve been able to teach her how to display calming signals or to focus entirely on me. I also have a shedload of food on me so generally have found that by shouting away and chucking food at the approaching dog they’ll choose the food over us.

She’s worked out that when I do that she stays by my side, follows me so in turn avoids meeting the other dogs.

Hi
    The 2 dogs I meet are being walked by their owners off lead on the road. Mine doesn't have an issue with them. She doesn't even bark back she stays at my feet. Mine is kept on the lead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Quandary wrote: »
    I have a large shepherd malamute cross and I have a soft muzzle on him at all times in public. If I were you I would put a soft muzzle on her and carry a strong stick with you. If nothing else it will be a visual deterrent and in the unlikely event your dog gets attacked it would be better than nothing.

Just a heads-up on this, and perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong thing, but the only soft (fabric?) muzzles I'm aware of are the tube-type design that prevent the mouth from opening wide enough to bite?
    These are not suitable for exercising dogs, because they don't allow them to pant properly in order to lose heat. Nor can the dog drink (or take treats if you're doing some training). They're really only meant to be used in the vets or groomers for short periods to prevent bites.
    The Baskerville, or basket-style muzzle is the only effective muzzle that's appropriate for exercising dogs in. Apologies if I've picked you up wrong on this Quandary :o but I just thought I'd clarify!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Quandary wrote: »

Most..probably 70%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I don't think anyone here can advise you not to muzzle your dog as, by law, she should be muzzled. I know how you feel though - I have a GSDx, live in the countryside, and experience the same thing.

There is a guy with greyhounds who walks our roads and is super-careful about meeting anyone ( i imagine he's had bad experiences). Whenever he sees someone with dogs he turns around and goes the opposite direction. Could you do that? Cutting a walk short or taking a long detour would be preferable to me over splitting up a dog fight...

• Advertisement
Advertisement