Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxes dropped over fence, dogs destroyed contents

Options
  • 30-05-2019 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Looking for advise please as not sure if I'm to blame it not.

I got an email from a courier company today confirming delivery, I postponed until tomorrow on their site. This company would deliver 1 or 2 times a week to us. We came home to find 2 boxes had been put over a 7ft fence. Both boxes were about 10kg each and it looks like they had been dropped. The sides on both boxes where split. Here where the problem is. My dogs got into one of the boxes, and wrecked a fair bit of it.

They have delivered it but it was my dogs who wrecked it so who's to blame. Is there a realistic option for a claim here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Did they contact you and ask was it ok to pop over the fence.

That's the important bit of info as to whose fault it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

dobman88 wrote: »
    Did they contact you and ask was it ok to pop over the fence.

That's the important bit of info as to whose fault it is.

No contact at all from them. Ive had to postpone deliveries before and I would still get a call asking where I am but got nothing at all today.

hairyslug wrote: »
    No contact at all from them. Ive had to postpone deliveries before and I would still get a call asking where I am but got nothing at all today.

Their fault. Contact company and log a complaint. Would expect to be refunded price of purchase at the least. Take pics of everything if you haven't already.

The only way I would ever leave stuff somewhere is by contacting the client first. Personally dont like putting stuff over fences. But that's more because of the risk of stuff breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Their fault. Contact company and log a complaint. Would expect to be refunded price of purchase at the least. Take pics of everything if you haven't already.

The OP has no contract with the courier company, they need to contact the seller and say the item was delivered damaged and that it wasn't signed for. The sender then has to deal with the courier company.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP has no contract with the courier company, they need to contact the seller and say the item was delivered damaged and that it wasn't signed for. The sender then has to deal with the courier company.

I'd still contact the delivery company and see what they can do.

I know my own company would try and resolve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Quite simply the item wasn't delivered. It was thrown over a fence. That's not a delivery.

I'd still contact the delivery company and see what they can do.

I know my own company would try and resolve it.

It's not the OPs problem though. The sender is the one that has the problem. What can the courier company do to fix the damaged items?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anteayer wrote: »
    Quite simply the item wasn't delivered. It was thrown over a fence. That's not a delivery.

Exactly. Don't even mention the dogs. Items thrown over fence, damaged.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We have had a proper look at everything now. If it makes a difference, I'm an online retailer and this was for resale.

The box that the dogs didn't get to had the expensive items in it, one cracked, the other punctured. From the pictures, it's fairly obvious that some of the damage was done by dogs.

hairyslug wrote: »
    We have had a proper look at everything now. If it makes a difference, I'm an online retailer and this was for resale.

The box that the dogs didn't get to had the expensive items in it, one cracked, the other punctured. From the pictures, it's fairly obvious that some of the damage was done by dogs.

Would you have signed for them if the courier handed them to you in the condition they are now? You never signed so the item was not delivered correctly. As I said it's the vendors problem to take up with the courier company not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The dogs could just have as easily been wild foxes, a sudden torrential downpour like we saw in many places this week could have done severe damage. It is completely unacceptable to do what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I’m a courier nearly 20 years and I wouldn’t throw a package over a fence even if the customer was waiting to catch it on the other side! Just contact the sender and claim it was never delivered

Advertisement