Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To change jobs or not?

Options
  • 29-05-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I'm in my current job 3 years, having come from a very stressed out employment prior to this, it's like a holiday.

I adore my boss and we are great pals. He has been very good to me through the sickness of both my parents allowing me incredble flexibility etc.

My colleagues for the most part are great, I had a run in with someone recently and made a complaint to my boss who basically off the record agreed with me that she was out of order but as she (my colleague) is a handful and tends to fly off the handle and has a previous record of bullying with HR it didn't really go anywhere other than her being made aware of my complaint and being obnoxious to me ever since.

This isn't a huge factor in my decision, I can totally live with it, she's not got many friends here and isn't respected. But it has changed office dynamics in a negative way.

My job is permanent and in the 3 years I have been here I received a small (8%) payrise before Christmas, having fought for it for 6 months.

There's a few other perks, relaxed environment, no micro managing and full maternity pay which is something I might need next year.

The work itself, well, after 3 years I could do it with my eyes closed, tight budgets prevent me from trying as many new things as I would like so I tend to get stuck in the mundane...I mean, it's grand, I could work here forever, but there's no progression for me and probably another 3 years before any kind of payrise.

I applied for a job a few weeks ago, it's in the same industry but a much more interesting role. Working with things I am more passionate about and access to much greater budgets. The salary is slightly larger, more holiday days but private sector so I'm assuming theres no maternity benefits and not going to ask.

I have had 2 interviews and tbh am expecting an offer by the end of the week. This has brought on a huge feeling of fear and massive guilt particularly because of the hurt I know this will cause my boss on both a personal and professional level.

I love the sound of the new role, the people seem great and happy. It's really the type of job that only comes around once in a while, so, I couldn't stop myself from applying, just to see what happened, even though my sensible head says to wait and see what happens if we try get pregnant next year.

Sorry for the rambling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving your boss, it sounds like you have repaid it in spades by being a good worker.

Normally I'd say make the jump but seeing friends of mine in the private sector and the often very basic maternity leave, that would give me pause in recommending anyone move if they hope to conceive in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭heretothere

The new job sounds like a good move, but as you are thinking about starting a family I'd stay. Full paid maternity pay would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If you're looking to start a family its a no brainer to stay. In the private sector you'll probably have to wait a year for your probation period and then maternity leave and payment is pretty much up in the air.

However, age etc all plays into it. You didn't get into that, are you likely to get pregnant fairly quickly? Could you be trying for a year and then another 7 months of waiting so 18 months down the line you're still there.

It's tricky, career wise it seems the new job is the challenge you need to regain passion and step up. Family wise, it seems the public sector ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Also bear in mind that it is not looked on well in private sector jobs (or at least my industry) if a new starter very quickly avails of maternity benefits. You could find that your career stagnates as a result of this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

qwerty13 wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that it is not looked on well in private sector jobs (or at least my industry) if a new starter very quickly avails of maternity benefits. You could find that your career stagnates as a result of this.

She's planning to get pregnant next year, not next week.

OP while maternity leave is a consideration, it is worth trying to find out what the mat leave pay would be like in the private sector job. Some places pay nothing, some places will top you up to a % of your usual income (not 100% but a lot more than the sw payments)

Also bear in mind as previous poster has pointed out, you might not get pregnant straight away, could be trying for 6-12 months, plus 9 month pregnancy, it's a long time to stay there for paid maternity leave that you might not need for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago where I was in a job that I liked, was good at and could have easily plodded along for the forseeable. It paid sick leave and maternity aa well as flexibility in hours. I got married and wanted to move away from shift work to start a family so got a day job in an area where jobs are infrequent and it was closer to home. The hours are regular which suited my idea of family life but the no sick pay and maternity pay are a real struggle. I am pregnant on my second child now and saving for maternity pay for the second time in 2 years is a real strain. My old job was handy and I do regret not holding out until I at least had one child. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I would say if work is not painful and you definitely want to have a baby next year, hold out for paid maternity leave. Your first baby is stressful enough, so having stable finances will really help have one less thing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

When you do have your new baby, you'll want all the maternity leave you can take and you'll want flexibility and you'll be pretty wrecked for a couple of years...

See if you get offered the job and then see if your current job will match the holidays and extra pay - or go some way towards it.

Personally, the older I get, the more I'd like a cushier number without the stress particularly since having kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I will throw out a different slant here OP - having worked in a job where I was bored and felt I had stopped learning/developing, I really felt like I needed to move for a challenge and even just a change of pace/fresh ideas. It is very much a personal thing, but it is only when I left that I realised how bored I had truly gotten and how I had really been stuck in my comfort zone (apologies for the business speak!) Don't be afraid of change / moving on and the maternity leave pay could well not be an issue, so worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Thanks everyone,

Really helpful advice. The plan is to start trying early next year, we're late thirties and in good health. We'd love to try now but it doesn't make sense due to circumstances. I could stay in my current job forever and be quite content, bored, but content.

I keep coming back to how I will feel trying to survive on €235 a week and needing to depend on my partners income, I predict a bit of regret there. My partner has advised me to follow my heart and do what makes me happy and he's ok to help out with money, but it wouldn't really be fine with me, I'm a bit weird about having my own income and not being dependent....Also he doesn't need to know how much money I actually spend on silly things :)

I guess I'll wait for the offer and ask for detail on the package. My feeling is, private sector, no maternity....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

LolaJJ wrote: »
    Thanks everyone,

Really helpful advice. The plan is to start trying early next year, we're late thirties and in good health. We'd love to try now but it doesn't make sense due to circumstances. I could stay in my current job forever and be quite content, bored, but content.

I keep coming back to how I will feel trying to survive on €235 a week and needing to depend on my partners income, I predict a bit of regret there. My partner has advised me to follow my heart and do what makes me happy and he's ok to help out with money, but it wouldn't really be fine with me, I'm a bit weird about having my own income and not being dependent....Also he doesn't need to know how much money I actually spend on silly things :)

I guess I'll wait for the offer and ask for detail on the package. My feeling is, private sector, no maternity....

My opinion.. when you have a child the concept of her money /his money should go out the window and everything should be for the family unit. Anything left over is fair game on sensible and silly spend

• Advertisement

Oh absolutely @RebelButtMunch and that would be his way of thinking too but I also feel like it's not his responsibility to pay for my fancy cosmetics or getting my hair done etc. I just wouldn't ever want to feel dependent. It's just the way I am wired I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

LolaJJ wrote:

You might be surprised. Plenty of companies in the private sector top up maternity benefit. See what Google tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Could you apply to other jobs in the public sector? Or for a transfer. I've done it and it changed things for the better.

There are many jobs in the PS that are very busy and fulfilling. I'm in one and many of my friends are.

There are more options than stay in a job that's not challenging or go to the private sector and get minimal maternity payments. Not all private sector jobs have but most have minimum waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You might be surprised. Plenty of companies in the private sector top up maternity benefit. See what Google tells you.

Two thirds top up maternity payments. It would be the norm in most MNCs.

Actually, technically I'm a private sector worker now, but we are related to a public body...so some (not all) of the benefits have carried over.

In my industry and where my experience is there would be very few public sector jobs, and the private sector companies that require my skills would all generally be small, so, I appreciate how lucky I am to be in my current role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

LolaJJ wrote: »
    I had a run in with someone recently and made a complaint to my boss who basically off the record agreed with me that she was out of order but as she (my colleague) is a handful and tends to fly off the handle and has a previous record of bullying with HR it didn't really go anywhere other than her being made aware of my complaint and being obnoxious to me ever since.

WTF!!! Really h.r. let you down by not having a formal disciplinary over it ESPECIALLY since this person has a record of causing problems, they should be shown the door. As for feeling guilty about leaving, don't, it's not personal it's business.

Advertisement