Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original birth cert

Options
  • 29-05-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

I may have lost my original birth cert, will I be unable to apply for certain state services because of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,322 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think you need a PSC card to apply for state services. Do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Seanachai wrote: »
    I may have lost my original birth cert, will I be unable to apply for certain state services because of this?

Just get another one from the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I think you need a PSC card to apply for state services. Do you have one?

I do, what I mean is applying for things like passports, from what I remember they need a long form original birth cert

• Registered Users Posts: 40,322 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I do, what I mean is applying for things like passports, from what I remember they need a long form original birth cert

Only for the initial application. If you dont have one you can order one for 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The General Register Office holds the original birth certificate. What you had was a copy. Copies can be obtained for a few euros.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/registrar_birth_marr_death.html

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    The General Register Office holds the original birth certificate. What you had was a copy. Copies can be obtained for a few euros.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/registrar_birth_marr_death.html

Okay, that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Victor wrote: »
    [/url]

I understand what you're getting at Victor and please forgive the pedantry but there is no such thing as an 'original' birth certificate. The GRO holds the register of births and for a fee, they will make a copy of any entry. The document they send you is known as a 'birth cert' and you can order as many copies as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I think when you hear "original birth cert" it does not hold it's literal meaning as in the very first cert, it's a term of art usually meaning an authentic issue, i.e not a photocopy, scan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GM228 wrote: »
    I think when you hear "original birth cert" it does not hold it's literal meaning as in the very first cert.....

The OP clearly thought it did.

coylemj wrote: »
    The OP clearly thought it did.

It's how it's always been referred to with anybody I've spoken to, the term is obviously being misused

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Without getting too bogged down in semantics, the meaning of the word "original" is understood to mean first or earliest most frequently.

Here, it has the meaning "not a copy" as that meaning might pertain to an artwork such as a song or painting.

Advertisement