Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implications of getting a British Driving Licence?

Options
  • 28-05-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am currently based in the UK and within a few weeks I hope to pass the test for a full motorbike licence. After I pass my test I believe that I will have to surrender my Irish (car) driving license so that it is replaced with a British driving license that allows me to drive both a car and a motorbike in the UK. I am just wondering what are the downstream implications of surrendering my Irish license in lieu of a British licence? I come back to Ireland every 2 months and rent cars on each return trip. Over the summer, I hope to come back to Ireland on the ferry and ride my new motorbike around Ireland on my holidays. I also have aspirations of using cars/motorbike in other EU countries while on trips. Will this be an issue post Brexit?

My question is this……It seems I have to have a British license as my motorbike training has been done in the UK. Will the new British car and motorbike licence be recognised in Ireland and in the EU. If not, this will cause me no end of problems. I was thinking about workarounds…I was tempted to report my Irish car license lost. The replacement license could then be given to the UK authorities while I could retain my old Irish license of car use in Ireland and in the EU. However, I’m not sure if the replacement license would have the same number as the original license number or if it is a new license number. I.e. I am not sure if my “found” (old) license would still be valid. I want to stay fully compliant with the law but I also want to avoid undue hassle when accessing rental cars/riding motorbikes in different jurisdictions.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can’t be the only one in this position.
    Cheers,
    Claxxix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

claxxix wrote: »
    I am currently based in the UK and within a few weeks I hope to pass the test for a full motorbike licence. After I pass my test I believe that I will have to surrender my Irish (car) driving license so that it is replaced with a British driving license that allows me to drive both a car and a motorbike in the UK. I am just wondering what are the downstream implications of surrendering my Irish license in lieu of a British licence? I come back to Ireland every 2 months and rent cars on each return trip. Over the summer, I hope to come back to Ireland on the ferry and ride my new motorbike around Ireland on my holidays. I also have aspirations of using cars/motorbike in other EU countries while on trips. Will this be an issue post Brexit?

My question is this……It seems I have to have a British license as my motorbike training has been done in the UK. Will the new British car and motorbike licence be recognised in Ireland and in the EU. If not, this will cause me no end of problems. I was thinking about workarounds…I was tempted to report my Irish car license lost. The replacement license could then be given to the UK authorities while I could retain my old Irish license of car use in Ireland and in the EU. However, I’m not sure if the replacement license would have the same number as the original license number or if it is a new license number. I.e. I am not sure if my “found” (old) license would still be valid. I want to stay fully compliant with the law but I also want to avoid undue hassle when accessing rental cars/riding motorbikes in different jurisdictions.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can’t be the only one in this position.
    Cheers,
    Claxxix

There was mutual recognition of driving licences long before the EU. Do not make a false statement re loss of licence. It will be perfectly acceptable to use your British licence in Ireland on trips here while you remain UK resident. If you ever return here you will be able to drive for 12months before needing to change. Although the legislation for a post Brexit exchange is not in place there is a commitment to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭claxxix

Thank for for that information Marcusm. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have driven in Ireland on a UK licence for many years. Like you, I passed my the UK motorbike test while living over there and exchanged my Irish car licence for a full UK car/bike licence.
    However, given the lack of clarity about the future position re. Brexit, I have recently surrendered my UK licence here and I'm waiting for an exchange Irish licence. There is a possibility, albeit unlikely, that your UK licence may not be acceptable in Ireland and vice versa should a hard Brexit happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

C3PO wrote: »
    I have driven in Ireland on a UK licence for many years. Like you, I passed my the UK motorbike test while living over there and exchanged my Irish car licence for a full UK car/bike licence.
    However, given the lack of clarity about the future position re. Brexit, I have recently surrendered my UK licence here and I'm waiting for an exchange Irish licence. There is a possibility, albeit unlikely, that your UK licence may not be acceptable in Ireland and vice versa should a hard Brexit happen!

While the OP remains a U.K. resident there is no issue about recognition in Ireland whole on trips here following a no-deal exit. The issue would only be for Irish resident holders of UK driving licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,217 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a UK motorbike licence and Irish car one completely disconnected. The number of us having done this is rather odd!

• Advertisement
Advertisement