Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are air vents legally required?

• 28-05-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are at the tail end of a new build house. We are delighted with most part of how it has turned out.

We recently noticed we do not have any air vents at all in our house. The builder said himself and engineer agreed at start of build that would wait until the end to put them in. The builder has since finished up ( and paid in full) and engineer is pushing hard for his last invoice to be paid.

What should we do?
    Surely it is a legal requirement to have vents so engineer should not have signed off house with no vents?
    We don’t know where to go from here.

There are no vents anywhere else, in windows etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I moved into a newly built house 15 years ago. 5 or 6 years ago (maybe more, I can't remember) all 32 houses in the area were inspected by the council. I didn't have vents in the walls, but did have vents in all windows.

I have a gas fire in the front room, which was switched off (ie the gas supply to the fire was stopped) by their staff (or a contracted gas man or whatever). I was told that until I put a vent in the wall, the fire would not be able to be used. I live in a warm house, so I haven't bothered putting a vent in, and no longer use the gas fire.

Fortunately, although the kitchen doesn't have a vent either, they didn't stop the supply to the cooker, presumably due to the patio doors.

So (and I'm completely guessing here) I'd say that it's not a legal requirement to have the vents in the house, but it may affect how and where you can use your gas appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tiptiptiptop

I moved into a newly built house 15 years ago. 5 or 6 years ago (maybe more, I can't remember) all 32 houses in the area were inspected by the council. I didn't have vents in the walls, but did have vents in all windows.

I have a gas fire in the front room, which was switched off (ie the gas supply to the fire was stopped) by their staff (or a contracted gas man or whatever). I was told that until I put a vent in the wall, the fire would not be able to be used. I live in a warm house, so I haven't bothered putting a vent in, and no longer use the gas fire.

Fortunately, although the kitchen doesn't have a vent either, they didn't stop the supply to the cooker, presumably due to the patio doors.

So (and I'm completely guessing here) I'd say that it's not a legal requirement to have the vents in the house, but it may affect how and where you can use your gas appliances.

Thanks for that info. I’d agree with you, our house is warm enough and don’t have a gas fire so don’t believe it causes a risk.

We have noticed that when we have a few candles lighting and we are in the living room watching tv it gets quite stuffy and we become sleepy ( i assume that the air quality is playing a part here)

I have googled it looking for the actual regulations and found a couple of things but nothing that is clear to me. If it is a requirement i will challenge the engineer, if not i will have to put in a couple of vents (kitchen & living room) at my own cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some form of Ventilation is legally required. Whether its for a gas producing appliance or for air change for life quality.

Technical Guidance Document Part F.

OP, do no pay any final bills until this is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tiptiptiptop

kceire wrote: »
    Some form of Ventilation is legally required. Whether its for a gas producing appliance or for air change for life quality.

Great stuff, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a mil.

Is there a certain stage that he would have signed off on this? How would i check?
    I’m afraid if I put this to him now he will say that he will say it is not signed off yet to cover himself and I wouldn’t have the know how to verify (if that makes sense).

I knew a while back that the builder and engineer were in each others pockets but I stupidly stood by and expected a fair service :(

You can add them now quite easily. It’s just a 4” core through the external walls and finishing.

Pity the builder is fully paid as he has no incentive to come back. You may appeal to his better nature and not call him with guns drawn as such and maybe chat. It’s a days work at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Eoiniom1

Quick update on this for anyone interested. I got back in touch with builder who simply laughed at me. Gave me contact details of lads who would carry out the work at my own cost. We feel very disappointed and let down to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Eoiniom1 wrote: »
    Quick update on this for anyone interested. I got back in touch with builder who simply laughed at me. Gave me contact details of lads who would carry out the work at my own cost. We feel very disappointed and let down to say the least.

Do you have a contract?

Are your neighbours houses the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When we had our gas fire installed many years ago the installer said it was a requirement to have a vent in the same room. He said he wouldn't leave without installing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Thought all new builds would have MHRV these days. Seems a shame to be cutting holes in an air tight envelope

• Advertisement

Thought all new builds would have MHRV these days.

No, they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

One of my neighbours recently had his house externally insulated. Again, his installer had to install a vent in his kitchen. Every room was checked for vents and the very old vents were all replaced with new ones. The house was then inspected for the grant and the inspector also checked that there were modern vents in each room. It looks like its a health & safety issue really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

kceire wrote: »

Are trickle vents on windows an adequate vent instead of a 4 inch core vent ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C22447%2Cen.pdf
    DWELLINGS
    Habitable Rooms
    1.5 In a habitable room other than a utility
    room, a kitchen or a room containing a kitchen, the
    following provision for ventilation should be
    adequate:

(a) a ventilation opening suitable for background
    ventilation having a total area not less than
    6500 mm2
    , and

(b) a ventilation opening suitable for rapid
    ventilation having a total area of at least 1/20th
    of the floor area of the room

i.e. a) is a vent at least 8.07 x 8.07 cm , b) is an operable window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's beyond daft drilling 4 inch holes everywhere

MVHR it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

He must be a bit of a prick if you previously had a good relationship with him, it's not a big job to put in a few vents

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's beyond daft drilling 4 inch holes everywhere

MVHR it

And how much would that add to the cost of the house now that it has already been built without allowing for it in the design? A lot more than a few vents would.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

And how much would that add to the cost of the house now that it has already been built without allowing for it in the design? A lot more than a few vents would.

Sounds like there was no design. If designed, part F of the building regs should have been complied with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

We are at the tail end of a new build house. We are delighted with most part of how it has turned out.

We recently noticed we do not have any air vents at all in our house. The builder said himself and engineer agreed at start of build that would wait until the end to put them in. The builder has since finished up ( and paid in full) and engineer is pushing hard for his last invoice to be paid.

What should we do?
    Surely it is a legal requirement to have vents so engineer should not have signed off house with no vents?
    We don’t know where to go from here.

There are no vents anywhere else, in windows etc.

has the engineer given you a cert of compliance?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Are trickle vents on windows an adequate vent instead of a 4 inch core vent ?

Trickle vents meet regulations, so from that point of view they are adequate. This is what many new builds actually have. But they are just as crazy as drilling holes in the wall. In terms of what is available on the market and improving our housing stock to be more energy efficient they are hardly adequate. Government should be forcing builders to install MHRV and air-heat pumps as standard.

• Advertisement

Trickle vents meet regulations, so from that point of view they are adequate. This is what many new builds actually have. But they are just as crazy as drilling holes in the wall. In terms of what is available on the market and improving our housing stock to be more energy efficient they are hardly adequate. Government should be forcing builders to install MHRV and air-heat pumps as standard.

New Part F and Part L (only released within the last few weeks) may actually force this.

Nice example here of even Council houses taking the right approach with MHRV, rather than the cheapest and minimum effort to meet regulations https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine/feature/good-mews-story-in-dun-laoghaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice example here of even Council houses taking the right approach with MHRV, rather than the cheapest and minimum effort to meet regulations https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine/feature/good-mews-story-in-dun-laoghaire

But €3600/sqm + VAT, even for a deliberately very simple design! And presumably that excludes the site and local authority contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lumen wrote: »
    But €3600/sqm + VAT, even for a deliberately very simple design! And presumably that excludes the site and local authority contributions.

No wonder He wept :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Missed the €3,600. Glad my taxes are being well spent! But that price is not so relevant. A2 rated semi-d's are being sold in Dublin for €2,200 sqm ex vat. (incl heat pump, triple glazing, fully kitted out etc). MHRV is not going to add that much in relative terms and will be more beneficial to homeowner than solar PV.

With MHRV the homeowner gets more comfort, better air quality, less heat loss, and is not left with the pain & cost of retrofitting MHRV later. Whereas solar PV on avg semid provides next to no benefit for homeowner and can be easily retrofitted. So it makes sense to force builders to prioritise MHRV over solar PV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Gosh am sorry to hear that. Did you keep any retention (i.e., at each stage of a payment, you (or solicitor for example) hold onto maybe 5% of each payment (for things like this at the end). If so, hold onto that retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Is this legally required. Our engineer says yes but it's a huge cost!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Biker1

Part F of the building regulations which covers ventilation is a legal requirement same as all the other regulations. Enforcement is up the Building Control however they are only required to inspect 15% of buildings but don't have the resources to check 5%. It is up to the builder to ensure he carried out the works in accordance with all the building regulations and can't ignore one of them even if the engineer told him to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Single room HRVs are how I'd approach this since it's all done and dusted. You'll need bigger than 4 inch holes. I had to bore my old vents to 160mm to fit the pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,597 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is what required? You are posting in a 4 year old thread with no context?

Ventilation? Wall vents? MHRV?

Different answers for each.

Advertisement