Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel pump faulty - BMW E60 (5 series)

Options
  • 28-05-2019 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I had a fuel pump go on me on a BMW 5 Series 2007 3 litre diesel. Symptoms were hissing/whining sound, Engine Management Light would come up signalling “ENGINE FAULT – LOW POWER). So I fitted a used one from a scrap yard on 15th March, which came off(2008 BMW 520d), but unsure of what mileage was on the car.

Now, over the last 2 days I’ve started to hear a missing sound again, exactly the symptom to lead to the last one giving up completely. Driving down the slip road this morning(under acceleration), ENGINE FAULT – LOW POWER fault popped up, but was lucky to plug in OBC2 dongle and reset the fault until I got to work.

Should a used pump fault so soon after changing? Now ,i know it was a second hand one, but to fault less than 2 months after fitting it seems very soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Used ones , particularly from a different model are guaranteed to work forever

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, a used pump is a complete unknown. And I would imaging the fuel pump was probably underpowered given it came from a 2.0 litre diesel and was now feeding a 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Steamed Clams

Actually both the in-tank and high pressure pumps on the E60 are common across the entire diesel range, pre LCI and post LCI:

realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=NX92-EUR-04-2007-E60N-BMW-535d&mg=16&sg=15&diagId=16_0553&q=16117373472&series=E60N

realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=NX92-EUR-04-2007-E60N-BMW-535d&mg=13&sg=15&diagId=13_0958&q=13518511824&series=E60N

So there's no bother fitting a (presumably way more common) 520d pump to any other diesel.

Assuming it was the high pressure pump that was replaced, that would point to something upstream causing repeated failures? e.g., ****e fuel, additives in tank, low pressure pump breaking apart, fuel pressure sender, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Used ones , particularly from a different model are guaranteed to work forever

Quite the funny man, however, I had checked to see if the fuel pump was fitted to smaller displacement models, it was was found on the following E60 vehicles:
    5' E60, 520d, Sedan, M47N2, EUR, (NC31)
    5' E60, 520d, Sedan, M47N2, EUR, (NC32)
    5' E60, 525d, Sedan, M57N, EUR, (NC51)
    5' E60, 525d, Sedan, M57N, EUR, (NC52)
    5' E60, 530d, Sedan, M57N, EUR, (NC71)
    5' E60, 530d, Sedan, M57N, EUR, (NC72)
    5' E60, 530d, Sedan, M57N2, EUR, (NR71)
    5' E60, 530d, Sedan, M57N2, EUR, (NR72)
    5' E60, 530xd, Sedan, M57N2, EUR, (NM71)
    5' E60, 535d, Sedan, M57N, EUR, (NC91)
    5' E60, 535d, Sedan, M57N, EUR, (NC92)

I had just thought it seemed strange that it would fault so soon after fitting, and had someone noticed similar faults fitting a used one regarding the lines, or incorrect fitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Did the new second hand pump fix the problem when fitted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Did you check the fuel filter? Maybe it's blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

Would you expect to hear a hissing sound from a faulty pump?

What exactly was the OBD fault? Does it happen under hard acceleration or any time in particular?

Low fuel pressure reading would cause the car to go into limp mode, which could be reset, but may not necessarily mean the pump in the culprit.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Would advise against second hand if it’s Bosch CP4. They’re known for breaking up, if you fit one that is breaking up you’ll be looking at replacement injectors and a fuel system clean out too.

Would you not just get your original pump reconditioned?

I fitted another second had pump on Sunday, drove all day Sunday(over 200 miles), no problem whatsoever. Didn't drive on Monday. Then driving to work yesterday morning, card died on the motorway, had to get it towed to the garage, and currently waiting to see what they think. Only fault that came up was "Engine Fault - Low Power), nothing about fuel pump or any other faults.

The fuel line in the engine bay(part of the line that's transparent), looked to contain air bubbles, so may be the case of a blocked fuel filter. Hopefully.

I didn't replace the fuel filter(wish I had now), as heard it was awkward without lifting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Whocare

Can't believe it you was able to change the high pressure pump but not filter

• Advertisement

Whocare wrote: »
    Can't believe it you was able to change the high pressure pump but not filter

Pump is easier to change as it's in the car, filter is under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Whocare

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I thought as in most car diesel pump is big job to change. But as with most fuel related issues it definitely is worth changing the filter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Lord Nikon wrote: »

In your defense, its v hard to diagnose if it’s a faulty pump of a blocked filter.
    I had a similar issue on a B6 A4 and changed the filter first as it’s a fraction of the price. Of course the issue was the pump in the end.

I put a new pump in only because I could not get a new one. It was close to €500 for a 12 year old car…

Advertisement