Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File archiving/compression and hashing

Options
  • 28-05-2019 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I'm looking for some expertise on file archive/compression and hashing methods.
    I have a college project to do and am looking at securing files using a basic block chain method.
    The idea is to archive a number of files but instead of archiving all of them in one go, instead do them in blocks. Each block will have a block number, hash of the block, hash of previous block and then the data itself. This way if any block is tampered with the hash will be wrong and break the chain.
    I have next to zero programming skills but before I set out to look into this and do some sort of proof of concept, does anyone know if something like this is possible to do?
    Any insights on what the best archiving/compression tools are to look at?

Advertisement