Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Trade

Options
  • 27-05-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone, just have a few questions regarding beginning a trade here in Ireland.
    My relative is a young American living here in Ireland full time and is considering taking up a trade here. He is interested in welding, car mechanics, electrician, plumbing, boilermaker.

I got the impression that welding would be a side-skill of another trade, e.g. car mechanics. Also, I’ve seen a lot of car mechanics on Boards.ie warning others to stay clear of this trade.

Regarding electrician, will he need Leaving Cert maths to be even considered? I’m not sure if his high school maths would be equivalent to what is required.

I don’t have too much experience of trades myself and don’t have many relations in a career like this. So, I’m not sure of ways to advise him how to start going about this. Do you do a course first before doing an apprenticeship? How would you go about achieving this? Are ETB/Training Course workers the best people to talk to in regards to this or who should he contact?

Any of you have any advice for a completely clueless individual such as myself?:( Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Become a plumber you will learn welding as part of this and you can also train to do boiler repairs and servicing which is a trade in it's self

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Willy Speareshake

anthonyos wrote: »
    Become a plumber you will learn welding as part of this and you can also train to do boiler repairs and servicing which is a trade in it's self

Thanks for clarifying about the welding Anthony. Have you any advice on how to start going about training as a plumber? i.e. must you get a cert before doing an apprenticeship or what?

Do you mean that plumbers also train to service boilers?
    How would you begin to train as a boiler servicer?

Advertisement