Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping a subject???

Options
  • 27-05-2019 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

For the past few months I have been considering dropping accounting and I finally made the decision that I want to but my parents are pushing me to keep it on. Im already doing eight subjects (all higher level) so I dont think it should be a problem. The main reason is that I am spending so much time trying to wrap my head around it (and barely passing) that all of my other subjects are suffering a lot. Does anyone have advice? I've explained this to them but they wont budge. ( I need them to agree because my school will only let you drop of you have a note from your parents) I am also in fifth year if you were going to ask.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Been in the exact same position doing Irish when Irish was compulsory (am a mature leaving cert student). The Irish teacher was a meglomaniac and the parents were terrified of him.

You know the joke about a fart? If you force it, its ****.
    Are you going into Banking/Finance/Commerce/Law ? IF no then you dont need it. Not to say it isnt an important life skill. Most poor people are poor because they cant understand how money and Finance works. Trust me there are loads of people with fur coats and no knickers going around. If you are going to do any of the above careers and Accounting isnt working out for you then you would want to rethink you career choices. There is a long time between 22 and the grave in an industry you hate passionately. You spend the whole time looking at the clock for 4pm on Friday and spend the whole weekend dreading Monday morning. Is that any way to live?

You need to have an honest conversation with yourself over the summer. Some money invested with a professional psychologist/ Career Guidance counsellor might be beneficial. What do you want to do with YOUR life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The way I see it there is two main reasons to do subjects for the leaving cert points and useful/enjoy.

So if you are struggling with it and not getting good grades and aren't going to be using it for points they it doesn't fit that criteria.
    If you don't enjoy it and don't see yourself using it down the line it doesn't fit that criteria.

So if it doesn't fit either and you can drop it you may as well.
    There is no point in keeping up a subject if you've dropped it in your mind anyway as you are not going to put in the required effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The way I see it there is two main reasons to do subjects for the leaving cert points and useful/enjoy.

So if you are struggling with it and not getting good grades and aren't going to be using it for points they it doesn't fit that criteria.
    If you don't enjoy it and don't see yourself using it down the line it doesn't fit that criteria.

So if it doesn't fit either and you can drop it you may as well.
    There is no point in keeping up a subject if you've dropped it in your mind anyway as you are not going to put in the required effort.

Gospel

Advertisement