Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trespassing

Options
  • 27-05-2019 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

If a member of the public passes the boundary to a property which is clearly marked but has no gate without permission from the owner are they trespassing ?

The area they were found was past the front door and down the side of the house before they were met with a gate.

Is this a civil or legal matter ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, they are trespassing, unless they have implied permission or a lawful excuse.

On the facts given, it's a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If this is about the kids next door running down the side of your house to retrieve their footballs, I really think you need to just build a bridge, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Dial Hard wrote: »
    If this is about the kids next door running down the side of your house to retrieve their footballs, I really think you need to just build a bridge, tbh.

Thanks for your input and the conclusion jumping. This is a question about adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

D3V!L wrote: »
    Thanks for your input and the conclusion jumping. This is a question about adults.

In which case I presume you're referring to the parents. My advice stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Trespass in and of itself is never criminal (except in certain circumstances like trespassing on the railway or airport).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Would that not mean your postman/delivery driver/friend you didn't invite are trespassing as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Would that not mean your postman/delivery driver/friend you didn't invite are trespassing as well?

That would come under the point made above:
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    ...unless they have implied permission or a lawful excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

nibtrix wrote: »
    That would come under the point made above:

Insert sound of whip cracking here!

Mod
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is not having a gate on the property an issue? Surely you should secure your own premises?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is not having a gate on the property an issue? Surely you should secure your own premises?
    As a practical matter it might be wise, but there's no general legal obligation to erect fences or gates on property boundaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Peregrinus wrote: »
    BattleCorp wrote: »

As a practical matter it might be wise, but there's no general legal obligation to erect fences or gates on property boundaries.

Indeed there is no legal obligation to erect a fence, however such a lack of fence or even a gate will give rise to an implied right to enter.

Lack of a boundary fence or gate can also deem private property a public place for the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts if there is vehicular access, though this would not apply to a private dwelling and it's curtilage.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

OP is this the murder house?

Mod
    Pls stay on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

GM228 wrote: »
    Trespass in and of itself is never criminal (except in certain circumstances like trespassing on the railway or airport).

In and if itself this is absolutely correct. In his other thread the OP made it clear that the adults came on his property for the purposes of intimidation. He’d probably get a more comprehensive answer here if he repeated all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Someone above mentioned " lawful excuse".

I would be grateful if you could give me examples of lawful excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

An emergency would be considered a lawful excuse, say you had to access someone's land (or home!) to render aid in an emergency or to save a life. You can't be prosecuted for trespass in that case.

I think that a postman/courier or someone accessing to check a meter etc. comes more under implied consent. Could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭D3V!L

nibtrix wrote: »
    An emergency would be considered a lawful excuse, say you had to access someone's land (or home!) to render aid in an emergency or to save a life. You can't be prosecuted for trespass in that case.

I think that a postman/courier or someone accessing to check a meter etc. comes more under implied consent. Could be wrong though!

AFAIK that all comes under implied consent

Red Hare wrote: »
    Someone above mentioned " lawful excuse".

I would be grateful if you could give me examples of lawful excuse.
    Well, in certain circumstances statute, or a warrant, gives the guards, and sometimes other officials, a right of entry onto premises. That would be a lawful excuse. I think the ESB has a statutory right of access to land in certain circumstances, to erect/maintain transmission infrastructure. If you own land which has been dedicated as a public highway, the general public has a lawful right of entry. Etc, etc.

A meter reader might have lawful excuse, if the legislation dealing with the supply of the utility concerned covers this point, or he might have express consent, if this is covered in the documentation you signed when signing up for the service, or he might have implied consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

D3V!L wrote: »
    We had no choice after he came onto our property , up our side driveway and started banging on our garden gate. He decided to bring another neighbour with him who he told we were shouting at their kids too.

To top it off he actually tried to stop my wife from closing the gate. We've decided at this point to talk to a solicitor and then the Gardai.
    Now that this issue is being dealt with by both a solicitor and the Gardi I don't see why you would need advice from posters of this forum, if anything it should be the other way around.
    Can you keep us updated?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed for mod review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement