Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transplanting shrub rose

Options
  • 27-05-2019 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭

I have a shrub rose I want to move as it's taking over a flower bed. It's a rugosa with long trailing thorny vines, and nice white flowers. Is it o.k. to hack back the vines, dig it out, and move it this time of year, or must I wait till it goes dormant? I'd thought about doing this last year in the fall, but didn't have a suitable place to move it to. Now, I do, next to a big wall where I could train the vines to grow up the wall.

Any suggestions on moving? Fertilizer in the new hole before moving? Just dig it up and move it along?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Best done in Spring. Water well before moving and take as much of the soil around the football as possible and keep well watered. Prune back after moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Best done in Spring. Water well before moving and take as much of the soil around the football as possible and keep well watered. Prune back after moving.

Thanks. Can I prune it and then move? It's got long, painful stems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Igotadose wrote: »
    Thanks. Can I prune it and then move? It's got long, painful stems.

Do an initial prune, move it, then tidy up with a proper pruning.

Advertisement