Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving to study medicine (at 22)

Options
  • 27-05-2019 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I got 425 points when i sat the leaving.
    I surprised a lot of people because of how little effort I put in, how little interest I showed and that I didn't take yet another sick day.
    It's a solid reflection of the effort I put in but certainly not of my capabilities.

I wasted 2 years of college and fees.. I'm now 22 and working in a warehouse.

I have no real interest in being anything but a doctor.
    I've tried, I've put that notion aside and tried business, software development, information systems, looked at engineering, nursing, law..
    Nothing interests me.

So I'm looking at repeating the Leaving at 22 so I can get into medicine.

I'll need to learn the whole english course in one year or not sit it (it was my best subject).
    I'll need to go from ordinary to higher maths - maybe not but probably will.
    I'll need to find other subjects to make up the points..

Would I go to my old school or fork out the 7k for the likes of Yeats?

I'd still have to pay for 3 years worth of full fees (2 from the fees I've wasted and 1 because it's a 5 year degree)..

My best subjects were:
    English - B1
    Biology - B2
    Music - B3
    Geography - B3

I got a C1 in ordinary maths, which isn't great but I was focused on my better subjects knowing I'd have no issues with maths.. I also annoyed my teacher by mentioning I'd like to sit the exam in 5th year if at all possible to get it out of the way.

So where does that leave me?
    Should I go to a different school? What subjects should I study?
    Do I just continuously repeat until I make the grades?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

30 seconds of googling gave me this:
    http://www.ucd.ie/all/cometoucd/applying/accesscourses/accesstoscienceengineeringagriculture/
    Anyone aged 22 or more on January 1st of their year of entry to UCD Access may apply for the course. This is so that you will meet the age requirement of being at least 23 on January 1st when starting an undergraduate degree. There is no upper age limit.

There are no formal educational entry requirements to the Access course. What we need to know about you is your life experience and any formal or informal learning you have undertaken previously. Give us as much information as you think relevant.

Evidence of recent prior learning is most relevant in an application, ability in maths, and prior learning in at least one of the science subjects is important.
    Students who achieve a GPA of 3.08* or more will be guaranteed a place on the following undergraduate degree programmes at UCD:

Bachelor of Science (DN200)
    Bachelor of Computer Science (DN201)
    Bachelor of Engineering (DN150)*
    Bachelor of Agriculture (DN250 / DN252 / DN253 / DN261 / DN271 / DN272)
    Bachelor of Medicine (DN400) **
    In addition to meeting the required standard on the course you must be eligible to apply on the grounds of mature years and make an application through the CAO.
    ** Entry to Medicine is also contingent on obtaining a minimum grade of A- in the module "Introduction to Chemistry, Physics & Biology". Applicants will be required to submit a learning journal and obtain a minimum HPAT Ireland score of 150. Two places will be offered per year and will be allocated on a competitive basis.

I'm sure there are many ways to get into medicine in Ireland and abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Thanks I saw that alright.

The problem is I’m based out west so Dublin isn’t really feasible because of the cost.
    I would be hoping to get into NUI Galway so I could potentially commute.
    I’m paying €10,000 a year for 3 years and then the regular €3k a year for the other 2.

NUIG have a similar path. You have the biology and you need the HPAT-Ireland cert.

Really it's up to you how you want to approach it.
    It's cheap as hell to study medicine in Malta if the cost is putting you off.

What did you do in college? Any way of leveraging that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Are you actually for real?

• Advertisement

What did you do in college? Any way of leveraging that?

Nope, just a general business degree - didn't graduate.

Are you actually for real?

Yes, didn't think I would have to clarify that.
    Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dublad2k15

MrMiata wrote: »
    I got 425 points when i sat the leaving.
    I surprised a lot of people because of how little effort I put in, how little interest I showed and that I didn't take yet another sick day.
    It's a solid reflection of the effort I put in but certainly not of my capabilities.

I wasted 2 years of college and fees.. I'm now 22 and working in a warehouse.

I have no real interest in being anything but a doctor.
    I've tried, I've put that notion aside and tried business, software development, information systems, looked at engineering, nursing, law..
    Nothing interests me.

So I'm looking at repeating the Leaving at 22 so I can get into medicine.

I'll need to learn the whole english course in one year or not sit it (it was my best subject).
    I'll need to go from ordinary to higher maths - maybe not but probably will.
    I'll need to find other subjects to make up the points..

Would I go to my old school or fork out the 7k for the likes of Yeats?

I'd still have to pay for 3 years worth of full fees (2 from the fees I've wasted and 1 because it's a 5 year degree)..

My best subjects were:
    English - B1
    Biology - B2
    Music - B3
    Geography - B3

I got a C1 in ordinary maths, which isn't great but I was focused on my better subjects knowing I'd have no issues with maths.. I also annoyed my teacher by mentioning I'd like to sit the exam in 5th year if at all possible to get it out of the way.

So where does that leave me?
    Should I go to a different school? What subjects should I study?
    Do I just continuously repeat until I make the grades?

You could repeat at a private grinds school or ETB place. Another option is going to Poland, Bulgaria or other countries in Europe with easier entry requirements as a last resort

dublad2k15 wrote: »
    You could repeat at a private grinds school or ETB place. Another option is going to Poland, Bulgaria or other countries in Europe with easier entry requirements as a last resort

My plan would be to repeat at the likes of Yeats, and then work/work on my hpat over the next 3-4 years so I would be eligible for free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are repeating you have to do all the subjects that are required in one sitting. So you have to do English, Irish and Maths. Medicine is the only course where this applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Would it not just be easier to go back and finish your original degree and apply to do medicine as a post grad? Would seem like a quicker and simpler route to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You could finish a primary degree in anything really, get at least a 2.1 and then apply to GEM. You could do the leaving again, I mean thats what Im doing and Im in my 30s. Its grand, you just put your head down and get the job done. The leaving cert is sh1t, I mean it teaches you nothing about whats important in life, but its a means to an end. Get your 625 points + hpat and your laughing. Its not as hard as everyone makes out, most of its monkey see, monkey do. The only subject that requires serious effort is higher level maths, and you dont have to do that. You could do ordinary and take an 8th subject. But if I were you Id get cracking on the hpat now, use the summer to study. Med entry have packages and workshops so get stuck in and go for it. If you really want to do this nothing will stop you, even though there will be obstacles.......and there will, but dig in and dont give up, you'll get there. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

MrMiata wrote: »
    I'd still have to pay for 3 years worth of full fees (2 from the fees I've wasted and 1 because it's a 5 year degree)

This is slightly incorrect.

You pay for the 2 years in full because you've already used the fee for a first year and a second year.

But you won't have to pay for the others in their entirety. You'll have your tuition paid for your third, fourth, and fifth years because they've never paid for those before.

The fact that you started a four year course doesn't matter (just like if you started a BA in Arts but left after first year to do Science, you'd still only have to pay for a first year again - even though the BSc is one year longer than the BA).

So your financial concerns that favour the LC approach over the GAMSAT approach are more valid than before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WardonGordon

I'd say go do some work experience or shadowing in the health sector..

How do you know you always wanted to be a doctor? Do you have some internal calling? /s

I am not a medical doctor but studied dentistry for 5 years have treated lots of patients and also come across lots of unhappy students in undergrad because they always thought medicine or dentistry was for them.. Nearly everyone in these courses will be very high points and usually quite intelligent in my experience but put little effort into why they chose the course. For some the courses just appeal because they are high points etc..

Health Care is a good field but its not like it is in TV shows etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

NUIG offer Mature Entry Med (which you'll be eligible to apply for next year and potentially start in September 2020). https://www.nuigalway.ie/undergrad-admissions/school-leavers/medicine/medicinemature/

It's competitive but you don't have to repeat your LC, you don't have to have completed an undergrad and I believe that the fees thing no longer applies i.e. it doesn't matter that you've already done 2 years in college.

You would have to do the HPAT and interviews.

I would think long and hard about it, medicine isn't all it's cracked up to be and if you found it hard to work in school then you may also struggle in the course.

Note that to study in Malta you have to learn Maltese!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

If you are repeating you have to do all the subjects that are required in one sitting. So you have to do English, Irish and Maths. Medicine is the only course where this applies.

Let me ask you about that though. Say if a person got English, Irish, maths, Chemistry but no third language, would that person have to go back and repeat all those subjects again(including the language)? Or would it be possible to do another leaving cert with different subjects(but including the third language) get the points and combine points and requirements?

N.96 wrote: »

You need to pass the Medical Maltese exam.

santana75 wrote: »
    Let me ask you about that though. Say if a person got English, Irish, maths, Chemistry but no third language, would that person have to go back and repeat all those subjects again(including the language)? Or would it be possible to do another leaving cert with different subjects(but including the third language) get the points and combine points and requirements?

For medicine no. You must do all the subjects in one sitting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd say go do some work experience or shadowing in the health sector..

How do you know you always wanted to be a doctor? Do you have some internal calling? /s

I am not a medical doctor but studied dentistry for 5 years have treated lots of patients and also come across lots of unhappy students in undergrad because they always thought medicine or dentistry was for them.. Nearly everyone in these courses will be very high points and usually quite intelligent in my experience but put little effort into why they chose the course. For some the courses just appeal because they are high points etc..

Health Care is a good field but its not like it is in TV shows etc...

This is a big issue.
    Just because you have the money in your pocket doesn't mean you have to spend it all. Parental pressure can play a big role too.

OP, I suggest you go back and finish your degree (show you stick at something), volunteer in things like John's Ambulance, hospices etc., see if it really is for you, then apply for Graduate Medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure about that. They speak English too.

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure about that. They speak English too.

Maltese is far more widely used in Malta than Irish is here. There is quite a large chunk of the population that use it as their first language and although most people can speak both English and Maltese, there are people (e.g. some elderly people who you would encounter in the hospital) who don't have much English at all.

It is a requirement of the course that you pass a Maltese exam and the university offer a course in it during the Summer and I believe the course is quite costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

Maltese is far more widely used in Malta than Irish is here. There is quite a large chunk of the population that use it as their first language and although most people can speak both English and Maltese, there are people (e.g. some elderly people who you would encounter in the hospital) who don't have much English at all.

It is a requirement of the course that you pass a Maltese exam and the university offer a course in it during the Summer and I believe the course is quite costly.

My sister did medicine in Ukraine and had to do the final exam in Russian but she had an assistant, so basically she said her answers in English and they wrote it down in Russian. She was top of her class. I've also been looking into different ways to get into dentistry in Europe if things go flop in the CAO. Right now Italy is the best option, low cost and i have family there. If you're passionate about doing something it will work out. I went to an rcsi talk in June after the leaving and they strongly advised against going the " repeat hpat after already getting into a course" route(something about wasting the space for another person) and the fees for the "repeat" yr(s) is €10,000 (scary!). I would suggest that if u want to stay in Ireland, try to get into grad medicine. If you're willing to go out of Ireland do your research on websites like Ucas and Eunicas.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

tunguska wrote: »
    You could finish a primary degree in anything really, get at least a 2.1 and then apply to GEM. You could do the leaving again, I mean thats what Im doing and Im in my 30s. Its grand, you just put your head down and get the job done. The leaving cert is sh1t, I mean it teaches you nothing about whats important in life, but its a means to an end. Get your 625 points + hpat and your laughing. Its not as hard as everyone makes out, most of its monkey see, monkey do. The only subject that requires serious effort is higher level maths, and you dont have to do that. You could do ordinary and take an 8th subject. But if I were you Id get cracking on the hpat now, use the summer to study. Med entry have packages and workshops so get stuck in and go for it. If you really want to do this nothing will stop you, even though there will be obstacles.......and there will, but dig in and dont give up, you'll get there. Best of luck.

Hi.

I'm 31 and thinking of repeating my LC and do Honours Irish as I want to do Primary teaching. How are you getting on? Are you doing it self study? Thanks :)

youandme13 wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm 31 and thinking of repeating my LC and do Honours Irish as I want to do Primary teaching. How are you getting on? Are you doing it self study? Thanks :)

I'm doing great. But I didnt say I was doing it via self study. I went to a private school, so it was me sitting in a class full of 17, 18 and some 19 year olds. Which turned out to be an amazing experience as they're a great group. So dont be put off by the idea of being in a class full of kids, they dont give a sh1t to be honest, nobody will bat an eye at you. I know there are places that do an "Adult leaving cert" but the standard is questionable, in that these places are more geared towards people who are just looking to pass. Your best bet is to go to one of the private colleges(in dublin, if thats where youre located). Its pricey,(7k for the full leaving cert)but it is absolutely worth it because they will get you whatever points you need.

tunguska wrote: »
    I'm doing great. But I didnt say I was doing it via self study. I went to a private school, so it was me sitting in a class full of 17, 18 and some 19 year olds. Which turned out to be an amazing experience as they're a great group. So dont be put off by the idea of being in a class full of kids, they dont give a sh1t to be honest, nobody will bat an eye at you. I know there are places that do an "Adult leaving cert" but the standard is questionable, in that these places are more geared towards people who are just looking to pass. Your best bet is to go to one of the private colleges(in dublin, if thats where youre located). Its pricey,(7k for the full leaving cert)but it is absolutely worth it because they will get you whatever points you need.

And your evidence of that is what exactly????
    Grind schools don't have a magic formula, they hand you a bundle of notes and make you learn them off on a 12 hour study day. If you put those hours in anywhere you would get a good leaving cert.

And your evidence of that is what exactly????
    Grind schools don't have a magic formula, they hand you a bundle of notes and make you learn them off on a 12 hour study day. If you put those hours in anywhere you would get a good leaving cert.

Direct first hand experience. Not speculation, not rumor, not second hand information.......but my own direct experience.

Advertisement