Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex flatmate owes me money for electricity bill

Options
  • 26-05-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

My previous flatmate moved out at the beginning of February.
    The electricity bill came out at the end of February, so I sent it to her via WhatsApp and she said she will pay her part -25 euro for our internet subscription.
    I agreed, gave her my bank details and started waiting for her transfer.
    Well, it's the end of May and I'm still waiting.
    During these 3 months I've pinged her on WhatsApp almost every week and she would either ignore me, say she'll send the money in a few days or say she tried, but her online banking doesn't recognize my account.
    Obviously I don't believe one word of hers.
    A few weeks ago she said she will send me the money in a letter, because she has no time to go to the bank.
    Again, I was 99% sure she was lying, but still gave her my working address and asked her to send the letter with a tracking number, so that there is a record of her actually sending it.
    Of course she went ballistic and send she will send it with a normal letter.
    I told her that if she tells me she sent a letter, but I don't get it for any reason, I will still hold her accountable and will demand my money from her.
    She pretended to be upset about me not trusting her and then went offline.
    WhatsApp is showing that the last time she was online was May 5th.
    I have pinged her 2 times since then- no reply.
    I sent her a text message on her cell number asking if she sent the money. Of course, no reply.
    I'm tempted to call her, but she will of course not pick up. Plus, I prefer to have a written record of any exchange that goes on between us.
    I can also find her on Linkedin and Facebook, but since we hadn't added each other while we lived together, I'm afraid it will seem stalkersih if I do it now.
    On the other hand, I want my money.
    It's about 50 euro, so I'm not going to go broke without it, but at the same time I hate the thought of letting her get away with it considering how she is acting now and how horrible of a flatmate she was in general.

What is my legal course of action here?
    Can I pursue her in small claims court or something of the sort?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    I know it might seem petty, but it's about the principle at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's not worth the hassle let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 linasamsara

I know doing anything other than texting her is probably more trouble than it's worth, but I absolutely hate the idea of someone acting in such a way and getting away with it.
    What are my legal options here, so I can look into them and decide if I want to pursue them or keep on texting her?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Hi,

It's about 50 euro, so I'm not going to go broke without it, but at the same time I hate the thought of letting her get away with it considering how she is acting now and how horrible of a flatmate she was in general.

it's about the principle at this point.

I fully get it's about the principle, and it is a bad situation to be in. However, if it makes you that angry, plus the effort of constantly contacting her, and going the small claims route, my advice would be to don't let this woman affect you even more over 50quid.

Even if you were to value your own personal time at ten euro an hour, how many hours have you already spent on this issue? Thinking about it, posting on boards about it etc. I'd be one for principles too, but my main one is look after yourself.

I'd cut my losses and forget she ever existed. It's not worth winding yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I know doing anything other than texting her is probably more trouble than it's worth, but I absolutely hate the idea of someone acting in such a way and getting away with it.
    What are my legal options here, so I can look into them and decide if I want to pursue them or keep on texting her?

Small claims court isn’t an option as they don’t deal with this sort of thing.

You can go down the route of a civil action in court .. but you’ll be paying out a hell of a lot more money to even do that.

It’s a life lesson .. some people are just jerks and by the sound of it you’ve met one .. move on and chalk it up to experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm not sure that this is appropriate for the legal forum but if the mods will bear with me I think it sums up the situation.

https://youtu.be/78-4RobJQ0Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 linasamsara

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I'm not sure that this is appropriate for the legal forum but if the mods will bear with me I think it sums up the situation.

It's a good and very mature way of looking at it, but argh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It's a good and very mature way of looking at it, but argh...

Try it once and see how it feels. If you can't live with it you can chase the next one. And there will be a next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Be careful or she could counter claim that you are harassing her.

Unfortunately in this country debt recovery is difficult, look at the trouble the banks/landlords have to go through for non payment of mortgages/rent, and the right to peaceful enjoyment is rigidity enforced, again look at the banks trying to make contact with the non mortgage payers or landlord's trying to get their property back from non paying tenants.

You could end up in more trouble than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Another vote for let it go.
    It's unfair and frustrating,and you're absolutely right to be angry.
    Best not to compound it though by wasting time and mental energy.
    Hope karma will get her at some point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    I think any practising solicitor would advise you to let it go. Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement