Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Cat- Urination Issues

Options
  • 26-05-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

1st time posting in the forum, wondering if anyone would have any advice.

Myself and my OH adopted a beautiful little female kitten from a shelter back in January, she was about 4 months at the time and has become such a wonderful little part of our family.

She came litter trained, and took to this straight away in her new home. After 2 months, we had to relocate for work purposes, and she adapted straight away and has been happy out.

About 3.5 months after we got her, we've been noticing her spraying/urinating a lot in inappropriate areas around the house. She has an entire utility room to herself with all her toys, bed, litter tray which is cleaned twice daily, food and water etc. and she never urinates there, only in the kitchen/living room when we are home and is allowed to wander.

We have noticed her urinating on skirting boards mainly and also on any object that is 'new' or 'foreign' in the room, i.e. a blanket/shopping bag/ vase / hand soap in the kitchen etc.

We looked up a bit about this and thought maybe she was in heat, she doesn't seem to be having trouble urinating and is not in pain etc. no issue with bowels, drinks water regularly and is putting on weight so we don't think it's medical. She's a 100% indoor cat as a side-note.

We brought her to the vet for a checkup etc. and were hoping to get her booked in for spaying, but the vet told us to hold off for a few weeks as she was very very small at the time.

I am wondering would anyone have any advice on this issue? Could it be because she hasn't been spayed yet? We have her booked in for the procedure in 2 weeks time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi guys,

1st time posting in the forum, wondering if anyone would have any advice.

Myself and my OH adopted a beautiful little female kitten from a shelter back in January, she was about 4 months at the time and has become such a wonderful little part of our family.

She came litter trained, and took to this straight away in her new home. After 2 months, we had to relocate for work purposes, and she adapted straight away and has been happy out.

About 3.5 months after we got her, we've been noticing her spraying/urinating a lot in inappropriate areas around the house. She has an entire utility room to herself with all her toys, bed, litter tray which is cleaned twice daily, food and water etc. and she never urinates there, only in the kitchen/living room when we are home and is allowed to wander.

We have noticed her urinating on skirting boards mainly and also on any object that is 'new' or 'foreign' in the room, i.e. a blanket/shopping bag/ vase / hand soap in the kitchen etc.

We looked up a bit about this and thought maybe she was in heat, she doesn't seem to be having trouble urinating and is not in pain etc. no issue with bowels, drinks water regularly and is putting on weight so we don't think it's medical. She's a 100% indoor cat as a side-note.

We brought her to the vet for a checkup etc. and were hoping to get her booked in for spaying, but the vet told us to hold off for a few weeks as she was very very small at the time.

I am wondering would anyone have any advice on this issue? Could it be because she hasn't been spayed yet? We have her booked in for the procedure in 2 weeks time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

No advice but what will it cost you to get her spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

She’s marking her territory. I know people usually associate male cats with marking but females do it too. I had a cat who used to do exactly that, there were specific arras she would mark and also anything new that came into the house.
    I had her for 10 years, (she was spayed before I got her), and I never managed to stop this behaviour totally.
    Make sure you are cleaning the areas with biological cleaner, to get rid of all traces. Try a feliway infuser also. It may seem like shes adjusted fine to your recent house move but this marking behaviour suggests otherwise. Thats why she's not marking the room she kept in most of the day (shes content there), but marking the other areas of the house when shes allowed to wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Probably around the 100e mark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Catt1tude

Hi OP,

Cats are territorial by nature and once they reach sexual maturity at about 6 months old, they often start marking by spraying. Once your cat is spayed the marking should stop or reduce. Try and clean the area she is marking with biological washing powder as the enzymes will break down the urine.

Cats in heat are usually very vocal and overly affectionate. She would also be trying to escape to find a mate. Your post doesn't mention any of those behaviours but she could be close to being in heat. Our Vet recommends spaying at 3 months old to avoid all the above behaviours. Glad you have her booked in for her appointment OP. Hope it goes well and she should be back to normal self again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Catt1tude wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Cats are territorial by nature and once they reach sexual maturity at about 6 months old, they often start marking by spraying. Once your cat is spayed the marking should stop or reduce. Try and clean the area she is marking with biological washing powder as the enzymes will break down the urine.

Cats in heat are usually very vocal and overly affectionate. She would also be trying to escape to find a mate. Your post doesn't mention any of those behaviours but she could be close to being in heat. Our Vet recommends spaying at 3 months old to avoid all the above behaviours. Glad you have her booked in for her appointment OP. Hope it goes well and she should be back to normal self again.

Hi there, all those behaviours are exactly what we've noticed an increase in recently, but didn't piece together that they were related. Thanks so much for the advise, yeah she's all booked in ready to go for next week so fingers crossed it all goes well for her!

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement