Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Rubbish collection: final destination

  • 25-05-2019 9:07am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Does anyone know where the green, black and brown rubbish bin collections in the city end up? It can't all go into landfill and there must be a place for the green bin stuff?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 15,778 ✭✭✭✭ zell12




  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    zell12 wrote:
    Call & ask


    That's a great idea. Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ aw


    Speaking generally, some companies process it locally, separating the waste and things that can be salvaged/recycled here (eg metal) is done locally with some items sent off for incineration.

    The rest is compressed and containerised and moved over land and sea to mainland Europe.
    There it is either shipped off to other countries (usually Asian) or it is incinerated.

    This might not be true for all, but certainly a large amount.

    I did a quick search for links but not much came up. Here is a relevant article originally from the Irish Times: https://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.org/eu/44-papers-today/waste/3142-


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    aw wrote:
    The rest is compressed and containerised and moved over land and sea to mainland Europe. There it is either shipped off to other countries (usually Asian) or it is incinerated.

    aw wrote:
    Speaking generally, some companies process it locally, separating the waste and things that can be salvaged/recycled here (eg metal) is done locally with some items sent off for incineration.

    aw wrote:
    This might not be true for all, but certainly a large amount.

    aw wrote:
    I did a quick search for links but not much came up. Here is a relevant article originally from the Irish Times:

    Thanks. Interesting article. Interesting to see Barna Waste mentioned.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,778 ✭✭✭✭ zell12




  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭ Alf Veedersane


    Depends what the waste is. They typically try to reduce what's going to landfill as that has a cost. Recyclables can be a source of revenue if they are clean and not contaminated. Contaminated recyclables (about a third of what is put in the green bin - think plastic food containers that haven't been cleaned etc) ends up with general waste. Most of the recyclables are recycled abroad. There probably isn't a market to recycle it here yet.

    Some of the black bin (general waste) can be sorted out and, where suitable, can be sold as refuse derived fuel for use in cement kilns but it would have very strict parameters.

    Hazardous waste is exported.


Advertisement