Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Sand on a Heavy/Boggy Lawn

Options
  • 24-05-2019 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

My lawn is very heavy and boggy. Last summer I put in several land drains to see if I could drain it better. Unfortunately this has not worked as the water is unable to make it to the stone and drain. This is evident as about 300mm from the edge of the drain the ground is wet and damp.

I got a agricultural contractor to plough it up last week so planning to rotivate, lebel and reseed in next couple of weeks.

Just wondering should I be mixing sand through it now in an effort to make it better draining?

Its about 0.5 of an acre.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'm thinking the sand should have been spread before the ploughing, but could be worked in ok with the rotovator. Sharp, horticultural sand might be better than normal building sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Hi all,

My lawn is very heavy and boggy. Last summer I put in several land drains to see if I could drain it better. Unfortunately this has not worked as the water is unable to make it to the stone and drain. This is evident as about 300mm from the edge of the drain the ground is wet and damp.

I got a agricultural contractor to plough it up last week so planning to rotivate, lebel and reseed in next couple of weeks.

Just wondering should I be mixing sand through it now in an effort to make it better draining?

Its about 0.5 of an acre.

Thanks

Have you got the soil properly assessed and your lawn area looked at by a professional? There is lots of information not included in your post that would be very relevant to what you are asking about. You could waste a lot of money on adding tonnes of sand to half an acre with no real improvement if the root of the problem is something like a high water table in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I doubt sand will help and may make things worse.

You'd probably be better off using a few tonnes of aged manure and gravel but I'd get some professional advice.

Advertisement