Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House - Separation

Options
  • 23-05-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Wife and I are deciding to separate... 2 kids... Property we live in is owned by me.

Give or take, it was me who caused the need to separate, so her suggestion was for me to move out and for ex + kids to remain in the property. I agree to a point (below) with this, it's best for the kids to stay there.

My question, if I do move out, what's the effect on ownership of the home and any equity that might be there in the future? If we, for example split the mortgage repayments 50/50.

Can I trust her to go along with an agreement like this, I think so, yes.

Is this something anyone has experienced? Or any advice on how best to resolve a situation like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Or any advice on how best to resolve a situation like this?

Get a solicitor. The property that is "owned by you" is a marital and family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doubledeutsch

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Get a solicitor. The property that is "owned by you" is a marital and family home.

Yeah, apologies, bad turn of phrase, but you know what I mean...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    As Dial Hard says

Leaving open for general discussion subject to forum rule on legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Hi,

Wife and I are deciding to separate... 2 kids... Property we live in is owned by me.

Give or take, it was me who caused the need to separate, so her suggestion was for me to move out and for ex + kids to remain in the property. I agree to a point (below) with this, it's best for the kids to stay there.

My question, if I do move out, what's the effect on ownership of the home and any equity that might be there in the future? If we, for example split the mortgage repayments 50/50.

Is this something anyone has experienced? Or any advice on how best to resolve a situation like this?

Thanks.

While you may be the sole owner on the deeds of the property, it is the family home and thus your wife has a claim on it and/or any surplus sales proceeds under the Family Home act. Best to go talk to a solicitor for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

TheShow wrote: »
    While you may be the sole owner on the deeds of the property, it is the family home and thus your wife has a claim on it and/or any surplus sales proceeds under the Family Home act. Best to go talk to a solicitor for advice.

A wife has no claim for any interest in the house or its proceeds under the Family Home Act (which does not exist) or any other Act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Phone these guys and get an appointment.

https://www.legalaidboard.ie/en/our-services/family-mediation/

Its free and they'll help both of you come to a, hopefully amicable, agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And if she re-partners in the future, can you also trust that the new partner won't encourage her to reneg on the deal? Nope ... you can't.

Get the legals sorted properly, to protect both your interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doubledeutsch

A wife has no claim for any interest in the house or its proceeds under the Family Home Act (which does not exist) or any other Act.

This was my understanding.
    And if she re-partners in the future, can you also trust that the new partner won't encourage her to reneg on the deal? Nope ... you can't.

Nope, you're right. However, how would a court look on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What a wife does have, is a right to seek in the context of a divorce or separation, proper provision which may mean she gets the house.

Advertisement