Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change dog food?

Options
  • 22-05-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some tips on how to change over dog food. I’ve inherited(neighbours moving and couldn’t bring dog) a little terrier mix, say she’s around 6/7years old.

Previous owners only fed him the wet tinned food, brandy brand. my own little terrier eats burns. I’d like to move away from this brand and get something better and dry into him. I’ve tried mixing in the burns with the wet food, he only eats the wet food. If I don’t give any wet food he won’t eat anything, I let this go in for a day and a half and then worried about him being hungry. He’s also a grazer and used to a dish of food being down all day, whereas my fella has 2 set meal times. I have two small kids so don’t want to leave food lying around all day. Both dogs are inside dogs.

Any tips on how to move to dry food and set meal times?

Just to mention that both dogs have got in great for years as there is a hole in our fence so are well used other, and often stayed in my house when they were away - not even sure he knows his owners are gone gone.

Thanks for any guidance/advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You are a good soul for taking him in, fair play to you :)
    My overwhelming experience in similar situations is that it's really hard to convince a wet-fed dog onto a dry diet. Really hard.
    Brandy is awful stuff, so you're right to get him off it. Woukd you consider feeding him a high quality soft food, such as Rocco, or Naturediet? Both available for reasonable money on Zooplus. There are a good few fans of Rocco in this forum, myself included! If you go for their bulk deals, it's no more expensive than Burns or similar, but bear in mind he'll need more of it than he would dry food, because of the high water content that goes with the territory :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

What colour is the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Did it and broke my heart.

I was so worried he would starve. Make sure and leave plenty of water out and that he has continual access.

Put it out in the morning and leave it for half hr or so. Take it away if not eaten.

Put another bowl out tmrw evening and reduce the time by 5 mins.

Make sure you do not give any treats etc

Every time reduce the time by a few mins. He will eventually eat it.

I took mine to the vet after second day refusal. They told me he was overweight anyway. Dog won't starve himself

Bud wolfed his down on 3rd evening. He's been on dry ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Did it and broke my heart.

I was so worried he would starve. Make sure and leave plenty of water out and that he has continual access.

Put it out in the morning and leave it for half hr or so. Take it away if not eaten.

Put another bowl out tmrw evening and reduce the time by 5 mins.

Make sure you do not give any treats etc

Every time reduce the time by a few mins. He will eventually eat it.

I took mine to the vet after second day refusal. They told me he was overweight anyway. Dog won't starve himself

Bud wolfed his down on 3rd evening. He's been on dry ever since

Dogs are not as stupid as humans:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

What colour is the dog?

What has this got to do with anything?

Good luck getting your new dog to change OP, I tried it with my cat and I actually think she would rather starve. She went nearly 3 days without eating a bite so we caved. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Burns also do a wet food too - i wonder would it be easier to transition from that?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    What has this got to do with anything?

Good luck getting your new dog to change OP, I tried it with my cat and I actually think she would rather starve. She went nearly 3 days without eating a bite so we caved. :rolleyes:
    What colour is the Cat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What colour is the Cat?

Sajid Javid, either state your case, or don't post in this thread again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement