Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn all burnt

Options
  • 22-05-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Bit of a disaster with the lawn. It was not looking good very patchy and white patches from my lawnmower was on its last legs and the height adjuster broken meaning it kept going to the lowest level and stripping the lawn bare. Got a new mower and went looking to improve the lawn so was advised to put a bag of 10.10.20 on to green it up. Was a bit wary of doing so as was afraid it would burn the lawn but got advice in a garden centre and was told it would be fine. So spread it last Friday night and this evening the lawn is gone nearly completely yellow. Help badly needed. Will a good lash of rain help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

k mac wrote: »
    Bit of a disaster with the lawn. It was not looking good very patchy and white patches from my lawnmower was on its last legs and the height adjuster broken meaning it kept going to the lowest level and stripping the lawn bare. Got a new mower and went looking to improve the lawn so was advised to put a bag of 10.10.20 on to green it up. Was a bit wary of doing so as was afraid it would burn the lawn but got advice in a garden centre and was told it would be fine. So spread it last Friday night and this evening the lawn is gone nearly completely yellow. Help badly needed. Will a good lash of rain help?

Has it rained since you put the fertilizer on?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Has it rained since you put the fertilizer on?

Got some rain on friday night and the odd light shower on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Got some rain on friday night and the odd light shower on saturday

Needs a good soak to wash the fertilizer in. The sunshine and lack of rain won't have done it any favours but it'll bounce back. Not sure how big your garden is but if it's feasible give it a good watering in morning or at night. Itl green up lovely and you'll be cursing it's growth rate for the next month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

You will regret it when growth explodes after a shower of rain.

893bet wrote: »

Wont mind cutting it as long as it comes back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

893bet wrote: »

10:10:20 wont be too bad, grass needs the energy at this stage of its to recover.

Grass like any other plant needs leaves to produce it’s food. It is however quite resilient somshoukd bkunce back with care.

Having stripped the ground you might get some weeds now, keep mowing at a decent height and they shouldn’t be too bad.

Got a sprinkling of soft rain here for a couple of hours here this morning plus an hour of me watering with a hose so hoping that might help. Wonder would it take long to see an improvement if the fertiliser was well washed in?

Grass growth across the country is terribly down at present, lack of rain and cold nights.

I’d say have patience, water it when you can is all you can do now.

What if I gave it a feed with something like the soluble tomato based feed to boost it?

Once you water or it rains then the fert you have spread is soluble.

I’m not saying don’t but you have a great balanced fertiliser spread and it will make a difference, just have patience. Watering will do more now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What if I gave it a feed with something like the soluble tomato based feed to boost it?

Just leave it and if it’s not getting rain water it if it’s not too big.
    You should only apply fertilizer when promised rain and 7-6-17 is a better application for lawns.
    Don’t add any more tomato feed or anything else.it needs water and time.
    Cut it regularly at about number 4 on a mower and feed it the 7-6-17 2 or 3 times over the growing season in small even Amount

How big is the lawn, you applied a whole 50kg bag of 10:10:20 ?

1100 sqm, I know I think it was a bit overkill now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is that about 8x the suggested coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

4 times roughly. It wouldn't burn the lawn but when rain comes you may end up cutting it twice a week.

Mooooo wrote: »
    4 times roughly. It wouldn't burn the lawn but when rain comes you may end up cutting it twice a week.

Hope you are right but it looks fairly burnt to me, big yellow patches. Got 4 hours watering with a sprinkler last night and another 4 this morning which hopefully might help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Wonder would it take long to see an improvement if the fertiliser was well washed in?

give it about a week to 10 days and then stand back :D

daheff wrote: »
    give it about a week to 10 days and then stand back :D

If all else fails i can take a cut of round bales off it 😀

Advertisement