Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

European breakdown cover

• 22-05-2019 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Heading on holidays to France with wife and kids. Looking for good breakdown cover. Any recommendations ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Heading on holidays to France with wife and kids. Looking for good breakdown cover. Any recommendations ? Thanks

I've used roadrescue.ie the last few years. Reasonably priced. Luckily have never needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If you have it with your insurance it may be covered, mine isn't valid outside IE/UK but my wife's is.

We got a standalone Mapfre policy a few years ago.

Another option might be servicing your car at a main dealer, with Audi for example I think you have European assistance until "service required" comes on!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jamemid wrote: »
    I've used roadrescue.ie the last few years. Reasonably priced. Luckily have never needed it.

Another recommendation for roadrescue.ie here. Again, thank feck, I didn't need them. However, my poor cousin was taking his newly converted campervan on it's inaugural holiday and the thing broke down about an hour away from Cherbourg on the way home. Roadrescue were able to sort them out and he was very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I have used road rescue for cover in the past. However I’m coming up against a brick wall at the moment as my vehicle is over 15 years old. I can’t seem to find anybody willing to cover it for breakdown in Europe. It’s a 2003 landcruiser, and I don’t want to tempt fate by saying, but it’s probably the lowest risk a company could take on for a car of that age in terms of breakdown, but I’d still rather have it just in case. Will be going to France in it this summer.

Any inside knowledge from anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

AA European breakdown cover will cover you but seems expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're going with Irish Ferries, you can get breakdown cover from them as an add-on for the duration of your trip. This is what I've used the last few trips I've taken to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Thanks, I'll give AA a shout, my travel insurance is with them. I'm going with Stena through brexitland visiting relatives on the way, but thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry to hijack:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭blockman

Resurrecting an old thread but I'm looking for European Breakdown Cover for a trip to France and have used Road Rescue previously but are no longer in the market. What choices are out there at the moment as I cannot find much current info except the AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Blockman or anyone else did you manage to find European breakdown cover?

can only see the AA? Very expensive….

My Aviva insurance policy says “identical cover in Europe for 30 days “ but luckily when I spoke to them I found out that it doesn’t cover breakdown assistance despite that statement in the document.

Skoda service garage assured me I had it too but again further checking informed me the service centre were wrong and that European cover only applies to cars under 3 years old. I’ve asked them to inform their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

How did you find out these differences from the policy documents and actual cover.

• Advertisement

I phoned Aviva to ask about what is included in the cover and was told it doesn’t apply to Europe.

The product information document has “identical cover in the EU for up to 31 days” but in a different section on restrictions to do with terrorist activity etc it says Breakdown Rescue cover does not apply outside Ireland. So I missed that when I saw the identical cover in EU bit.

Skoda, I asked when the car was serviced and the centre said it was covered. Also the card on the windscreen had the European breakdown assist number. I only called Skoda to find out what was covered to make sure it was adequate. Glad I did now.

I am getting a quote of €203 for two and a half weeks from AA and I can’t find anywhere else to get a quote from.

I got this last week from Skoda along with the service report. So a warning to anyone interested. Best to have the correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I asked because I checked with mine and UK was covered. But they were a little vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In my experience, it actually comes cheaper not to have it.

Obviously it depends on condition of the car and "how likely is it to break down".

But if you have relatively well maintained car, then chances of actually using breakdown cover as pretty slim.

I think I would prefer to save €200 for a 2 weeks AA cover, and take the risk, that in unlikely event of breakdown, I might need to fork out €500 or so, for towing truck to nearest garage, and some accommodation for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've got the European cover itemised on my last service invoice as a €0 item and I'm not going to go looking for problems where I don't have any :)

That being said, I doubt if it will cover motorway extraction in France, Italy, Germany etc, so the best insurance is to get your car fully serviced in June every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Wow, I got a €188 euro quote from AA for my 2008 Koleos for 2 weeks in June.. sheesh...

FBD don't offer it ... Alliaz have given it up...

I heard that VHI multitrip offers it as an add-on.. rang em.. €82 euro extra.. but car has to be less than 11 years old.

carprotect.ie won't do anything over 8 yrs old...

Didn't thing THIS would be the rock our holiday would perish on ... 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Any updates on a worthwhile alternative to the AA for European Breakdown Cover? (€129 for 2 weeks, ouch)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Advertisement