Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Wifi coverage using cat5?

Options
  • 22-05-2019 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking for advice on how to extend WiFi coverage in my house. I have mobile broadband from 3 mobile, the router/modem is a Huawei-b525.
    My house is a renovated cottage (so it has thick walls) with an extension. What I'd like to have is WiFi in both the cottage and the extension, which are 15 to 20 meters apart. I tried a powerline adapter kit but it didn't work as the the cottage and extension have separate electrical cables. I looked at Google WiFi but I'm not sure if it would work with thick walls??
    The house is wired with cat5 cable, with all the cat5 cables running from the attic.
    I'm in no way tech savvy so can someone help me in getting a system setup that isn't too complicated please? Or would it be worth trying the likes of Google WiFi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

"cottage and extension have separate electrical cables" - do you mean separate breakers in same fuse board?

If power is on independent mains, consult your electrician about hazards powering network devices from separate power sources.

Providing you have CAT5 link between your house and extension, you can introduce proper AP(Access Point) or use another consumer grade router as dedicated unit for that purpose. If router used, static IP should be configured on it and DHCP need to be disabled.
    Enterprise grade AP usually support PoE(Power over Ethernet) that allow to power up device from same power grid as network originating device(B525), power from house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup OP, as above, the CAT5 cabling is what will do the job here. Granted your "broadband" source isn't great to begin with but if it's working now, it'll remain to be usable. Does this router live in the attic? Does it have multiple ports? (a quick google tells me it has 4 ports, good)

Again as above, all you need is some form of wireless Access Point (AP) to be placed in the extension. If not already, the router can live in the attic at the central point of your CAT5 runs. Connect whichever cable runs to the extension. Connect the AP to the port in the extension. Some of these APs need very little configuration but anyone here would be happy to help if you're struggling.

The only issue then that comes to mind is if moving the router to the attic has a detrimental effect on the current wireless quality. If so, another AP could be connected to another port in the older part of the house.

Having your house cabled to a central location like that is a bit of a gift tbh. I have a bit of a project ahead of me to do similar to my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Quick and cheap test would be to get hold of an old discarded router and connect it to the Cat5e in the extension and use its wifi for the extension.

If it works to your satisfaction then you can tweak its settings so that it provides a seamless connection for wandering about with mobile devices (as explained above).

Lots of people have discarded routers that would suit ..... essentially any that have wifi function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 woloc27

"cottage and extension have separate electrical cables" - do you mean separate breakers in same fuse board?
    - yes, they are on separate breakers in the same fuse box
    Providing you have CAT5 link between your house and extension, you can introduce proper AP(Access Point) or use another consumer grade router as dedicated unit for that purpose. If router used, static IP should be configured on it and DHCP need to be disabled.
    Enterprise grade AP usually support PoE(Power over Ethernet) that allow to power up device from same power grid as network originating device(B525), power from house.
    - thanks will look into using Access Points

theteal wrote: »
    Yup OP, as above, the CAT5 cabling is what will do the job here. Granted your "broadband" source isn't great to begin with but if it's working now, it'll remain to be usable. Does this router live in the attic? Does it have multiple ports? (a quick google tells me it has 4 ports, good)

Again as above, all you need is some form of wireless Access Point (AP) to be placed in the extension. If not already, the router can live in the attic at the central point of your CAT5 runs. Connect whichever cable runs to the extension. Connect the AP to the port in the extension. Some of these APs need very little configuration but anyone here would be happy to help if you're struggling.

The only issue then that comes to mind is if moving the router to the attic has a detrimental effect on the current wireless quality. If so, another AP could be connected to another port in the older part of the house.

Having your house cabled to a central location like that is a bit of a gift tbh. I have a bit of a project ahead of me to do similar to my own house.
    -thanks for reply. My router is currently in the cottage. At the moment if i want WiFi in the extension i just have to move the router, but I would obviously like to not have to do that on an ongoing basis. I will see if the router picks up a signal in the attic and then try APs in the cottage and extension.

• Advertisement

Quick and cheap test would be to get hold of an old discarded router and connect it to the Cat5e in the extension and use its wifi for the extension.

If it works to your satisfaction then you can tweak its settings so that it provides a seamless connection for wandering about with mobile devices (as explained above).

Lots of people have discarded routers that would suit ..... essentially any that have wifi function.
    thanks for reply, I will ask around for an old router and see if it works

Advertisement