Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's eating my plants

Options
  • 22-05-2019 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Planted Lupin and Poppies only to have them eaten, not just nibbled but all leaves , stems and flower buds gone without a trace.

40937117223_a2ef5a8111_m.jpg

47114296184_6479ae28b0_m.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what the culprit might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Slugs absolutely adore Lupins and will eat them to the ground like Samurai warriors, obliterated!

Poppies are usually much tougher - I'm surprised that yours have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Thanks I thought the destruction was too complete for slugs. The Poppies which seeded themselves from last year are fine, it was just the new ones.

My plants are having a miserable time, something took the buds off my Irises, didn't eat them just ate across the stem right below the flower. The stem of the Kniphofia was eaten out, looked fine till it fell over and I saw it was hollow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Take your flash phone outside,after 11pm and check the grounds...you'll be shocked how many of them are in there,from everywhere.

Stop watering in the afternoon / evening,do it only early morning.
    If you can afford,throw some ground coffee around the plants to protect it against.
    Buy nemaslug from good shop and use it on the soil.

Sorry,good luck.

Advertisement