Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to gauge what decent pay level is

Options
  • 21-05-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

I was offered a job with a well-known company, and asked for €6k more, thinking they’d refuse. To my surprise, they agreed straight away and now I’m wondering if I should have asked for more.

Is there any way of benchmarking what the average pay is for a company, besides knowing someone who works there or using a site like Glassdoor, where the range can vary hugely? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

Its not easy... but does the profession in question have a professional body/organisation/membership?

The professional body I am a member of do a salary survey every couple of years and publish the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Doop wrote: »
    Its not easy... but does the profession in question have a professional body/organisation/membership?

The professional body I am a member of do a salary survey every couple of years and publish the results.

Hmm not exactly, it's not like chartered accountant or something similar. I'm happy with the pay, have just heard that average pay is quite high so wondering if I should have pushed for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Shelga wrote: »
    Is there any way of benchmarking what the average pay is for a company, besides knowing someone who works there or using a site like Glassdoor, where the range can vary hugely? Thanks :)
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

Hmm not exactly, it's not like chartered accountant or something similar. I'm happy with the pay, have just heard that average pay is quite high so wondering if I should have pushed for more.

You probably just need to accept they gave you what you asked for and be happy, you will have a better sense when you are established in the position and as such can negotiate at annual reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You may only have got €6k if you asked for more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement