Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the benefit of Unions?

Options
  • 20-05-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I would appreciate some input from those currently in the Public Sector (PS) on the continued benefits of Union Membership.
    This is not a PS / Union-bashing thread. If you're post is of that nature there are plenty of other threads this way -->

Currently I pay ~€280 annually to the Union. What am I getting for this? What is the material benefit?
    Obviously I understand the theoretical benefit of collective bargaining etc but part of me would rather the €280 in my pocket for obvious reasons.

I guess I'm trying to justify my continued payment of this charge when its hard to see the benefit on a day to day level. Having said that the rollback of the FEMPI measures are welcome - but (selfishly I guess) I'd benefit from those whether I pay the money or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭impega1

I take it that you are a Public/Civil Servant

Agreed, regardless of your union membership everyone benefits from the pay restoration regardless of their union membership.

Unions, on a personal level, always pay for themselves when you are faced with a very complex work place situation, for example harassment, bullying or management just plainly trying railroad changes to work practices through.

So when deciding to cancel your membership, also factor in who will have your corner if something like the above occur.

Also some AVC & ICP Plans are based on Union Membership, so by cancelling your union sub also cancels your AVC or Income Protection Plan.

The old saying of strength in Numbers is what makes a Union. If more are not in a union, then this only strengthens the hand of management.

BTW- i am not a Union Officer, i just believe in the concepts and ideals of a union

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yes, I'm in the PS and have been a union member for donkeys years; and fully appreciate the concept of unions and the big-picture benefits that we wouldn't have without them.
    However, I'm paying them about €7 a week for what I'm not exactly sure right now - they're not pro-active in my area. I couldn't point out my union rep or anything of that nature - I don't think there's even one in my building. I'm not poor exactly as I'm paying debt etc and trying to save but come payday I'm skint - so I'm figuring I could use the 7€ more than them right now.
    Also, in all the time I've been a member I can only think of one time that there was union involvement in a local issue that benefited me directly - a junior promotional opportunity that happened with their help but we're talking 10+ years ago now.
    Since then, not much tbh.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Diceicle wrote: »
    Yes, I'm in the PS and have been a union member for donkeys years; and fully appreciate the concept of unions and the big-picture benefits that we wouldn't have without them.
    However, I'm paying them about €7 a week for what I'm not exactly sure right now - they're not pro-active in my area. I couldn't point out my union rep or anything of that nature - I don't think there's even one in my building. I'm not poor exactly as I'm paying debt etc and trying to save but come payday I'm skint - so I'm figuring I could use the 7€ more than them right now.
    Also, in all the time I've been a member I can only think of one time that there was union involvement in a local issue that benefited me directly - a junior promotional opportunity that happened with their help but we're talking 10+ years ago now.
    Since then, not much tbh.

Claim your optical and dental benefits if you need them. You'll get some of your sub back that way.

im no union head, and imo they can have quite. a toxic place in the overall service when held as a threat against necessary change or addressing chancers

but when you say you havent seen anything for your contribution recently go check if you got the FEMPI excel sheet setting out what the negotiated restoration is worth to you over a few years. and you didnt have to ask for a cent of it

worth every penny imo, and it only works if everyone considers the alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

im no union head, and imo they can have quite. a toxic place in the overall service when held as a threat against necessary change or addressing chancers

but when you say you havent seen anything for your contribution recently go check if you got the FEMPI excel sheet setting out what the negotiated restoration is worth to you over a few years. and you didnt have to ask for a cent of it

worth every penny imo, and it only works if everyone considers the alternative

I acknowledge the benefits of the FEMPI rollback but as you say yourself this is restoration of what was already there. It could be argued that those measures would be undone by the politicians eventually in exchange for votes. So FEMPI will be no more come December 2020 as is my understanding.

• Advertisement

I acknowledge the benefits of the FEMPI rollback but as you say yourself this is restoration of what was already there. It could be argued that those measures would be undone by the politicians eventually in exchange for votes. So FEMPI will be no more come December 2020 as is my understanding.

it was gone

it was brought back, and it wouldnt have happened as quickly nor as fully without the principles of collective bargaining (which tbf delivered a deal for the govt of the day to begin with)

thats not an accounting trick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I really doubt that. If it wasn't for strike risk etc. pay restoration and increases would likely not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No one in the PS sacked or let go during the crash.
    I'd say £7 per week is good value for that kinda protection. Especially with FG, the Sindo, Economists, IBEC, the IMF, the ECB, Newstalk, FF, and many many others calling for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭impega1

Unions are only as good as its members - OP if you dont know who your rep is why not call HQ and if there is none be the rep yourself

Advertisement