Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I mute a WhatsApp group?

Options
  • 19-05-2019 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I’m a member of a large WhatsApp group that generates a lot of messages.

Is it possible to mute incoming messages from a group so that they still arrive, but you have to look for them rather than hear each one? (I’d like to be able to continue to hear other message alerts.)

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Dinarius wrote: »
    I’m a member of a large WhatsApp group that generates a lot of messages.

Is it possible to mute incoming messages from a group so that they still arrive, but you have to look for them rather than hear each one? (I’d like to be able to continue to hear other message alerts.)

Thanks.

D.

Yes.

Hit the three little dots on the top corner of the chat and select mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You can also mute the ring tone/ set it to a specific sound. If you go into the group and click at the top for group info and you'll see "custom notifications" you can then turn off the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

A little off topic but is there anyway to stop notification sounds while you have the app open and new messages come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

tnegun wrote: »
    A little off topic but is there anyway to stop notification sounds while you have the app open and new messages come in?

Turn off conversation tones in notifications? I think, try it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Also, a little off-topic coz it's not Android...

Thanks for solving the Android issue...

Can you do also this with WhatsApp on an iPhone? I can't see the dots referred to above.

Thanks.

D.

Sorted! Swipe group name to the left and choose More/Mute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Should set up a broadcast group. This is criminally underused by most people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

What's the difference between a broadcast group and a standard group?

miamee wrote: »
    What's the difference between a broadcast group and a standard group?

In a broadcast group, messages from people only get sent to admins.

Messages sent from admin go to everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JaCrispy wrote: »
    In a broadcast group, messages from people only get sent to admins.

Messages sent from admin go to everybody.

That sounds completely pointless. What am I missing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Nothing they are rubbish unless one person is preaching to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's what I was gathering but I had thought that couldn't be right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Coach telling players about a game.

An invite to a wedding/hens where you don’t care about the responses of others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

It's for Whatsapp groups which are intended to be basic information sharing as opposed to social interaction. I know a lot of parents who need to be in Whatsapp groups to hear about birthday parties, homework, and school announcements, but hate hearing the back and forth between others talking about how little Johnny tripped on his way to school, or how little Mary spilled orange juice all down her new top.

In these groups, a responsible admin could share important information on behalf of others without 30-40 unimportant responses coming through shortly after.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Coach telling players about a game.

An invite to a wedding/hens where you don’t care about the responses of others!!

Yes but the threads about a WhatsApp group that has multiple contributions

Yes but the threads about a WhatsApp group that has multiple contributions

The OP didn't specify what the exact conditions of the group were. I was just providing some advice that might be applicable him/her going forward.
    Relax brother.

JaCrispy wrote: »
    The OP didn't specify what the exact conditions of the group were. I was just providing some advice that might be applicable him/her going forward.
    Relax brother.

I'm relaxed brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Broadcast groups have their uses.

Good example is someone organising their 50th and compiling a large WhatsApp group. They only want to hear from invitees about answers to questions and invitees do not want to be inundated with messages to the celebrant.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gunbro

click at the top for group info and you'll see "custom notifications" you can then turn off the sound or mute it

Advertisement