Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary guides

Options
  • 17-05-2019 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I've been looking through a few salary guides for my job, all seem to have the same number.
    My boss says they are exaggerated, what's your opinion?
    Do you think they are on point for your position or are they to high/low?

Comments

He's not going to say "they are too low, have some more money". Go for soem interviews and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

He's not going to say "they are too low, have some more money". Go for soem interviews and find out.

Yes of course they will say that, one interview was on point so far with the guides.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If the rate they are paying now isn't comparable to the norm, you're not going to change it. You could say you interviewed for a role where €X was offered. They may make a counter offer to keep you, but that raise would likely be a one off.

Clean your suit and polish your shoes. It's time to go job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

From what I've seen these guides logically enough depend on the amount of data they can get.

So if it's a very common role. Say site labourer. Thry can get loads of info and produce a good band per Region.

Now say it's something far less common. Say contracts manager. There might be one per 500 labours AND that 1 is unlikely to tell too many people their salary.

So the producer of the guide might get 2 answers in the whole of Munster. The "band" is just what these 2 answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Glassdoor is a grand temperature check but only really works for big companies with lots of people in each role. Go and chat with a decent recruiter and tell them you're sussing out the market, they should be able to tell you roughly what you could expect to earn.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.
    Was using the likes of Morgan McKinley etc as a guide.
    Shoes are polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

I recall once a while back getting into a spin because of a figure I found in such a guide and approaching my boss quite irritated about it. He seemed genuinely quite sure that my salary was on a par with the norms, and in the end I finally realized that he was right. I was pretty pissed off at the time, but it taught me to take these guides with a pinch of salt, and mine as much data as you can from other sources.

Now, that said, you say that you have been to an interview where the position was for a salary on par with the guides. Is this position in the same location, same level of responsibility, etc? If it is, and there is a substantial % increase, then this would certainly get me thinking...

skallywag wrote: »
    I recall once a while back getting into a spin because of a figure I found in such a guide and approaching my boss quite irritated about it. He seemed genuinely quite sure that my salary was on a par with the norms, and in the end I finally realized that he was right. I was pretty pissed off at the time, but it thought me to take these guides with a pinch of salt, and mine as much data as you can from other sources.

Now, that said, you say that you have been to an interview where the position was for a salary on par with the guides. Is this position in the same location, same level of responsibility, etc? If it is, and there is a substantial % increase, then this would certainly get me thinking...

Different location (more remote and just to far to commute), same role with similar responsibly.
    If if was closer I'd be highly considering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

chrismon wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    Was using the likes of Morgan McKinley etc as a guide.
    Shoes are polished.

Keep in mind it's in the best interests of the agents who compile these reports to use salary surveys as a marketing tool to attract new candidates.

Consider your full package, and not just monetary reward, work life balance including commute, opportunities, clients, stress, the list goes on.

A 5k raise works out at a tenner a day after tax. And starting a new role on X doesnt automatically translate to Y in 2 years.

But definitely have a look around, worth it for the connections alone. And skip the agency, very few are qualified to do anything more than process your details. Certainly wouldn't have anyone in a position to negotiate on my behalf when it comes to the numbers. Contact direct competitors for a general chat.

What percentage difference are we talking?

• Advertisement

About 35% difference in wages.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Keep in mind it's in the best interests of the agents who compile these reports to use salary surveys as a marketing tool to attract new candidates.

Consider your full package, and not just monetary reward, work life balance including commute, opportunities, clients, stress, the list goes on.

A 5k raise works out at a tenner a day after tax. And starting a new role on X doesnt automatically translate to Y in 2 years.

But definitely have a look around, worth it for the connections alone. And skip the agency, very few are qualified to do anything more than process your details. Certainly wouldn't have anyone in a position to negotiate on my behalf when it comes to the numbers. Contact direct competitors for a general chat.

Thanks for that.
    Will keep that in mind.

That is indeed significant.

Have you other benefits or goodies at the moment which you might not have at the other place? If not, then I would be thinking about approaching your boss if he or she is any way reasonable, and saying up front that a friend etc. went to such and such and got offered x, and that you honestly feel that you are being underpaid.

I know that the popular story tends to be that all bosses will screw you as much as possible, but as I progressed in my own career I actually realised that this is not usually the case. I have now been with more than one company where we go out of our way to make sure that the team is being paid minimum industry standard, if not indeed above. It pays off in the long run, particularly when you put so much time into hiring and trying to retain decent workers. I cannot blame your boss for not putting much faith in salary guides, but if you point out that folk are getting paid x etc for similar roles then you might be successful. It's worth a shot if he is anyway approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think you have to look at the entire package.

I could earn a lot more if I moved into a bank, but I'd have to deal with a lot of politics, have to work set hours, and have to follow all sorts of conformist rules.

But I choose not to, because my current job lets me work my own hours, from any location, with unlimited holidays.

So I am choosing quality of life over money.

There are also things like location, how well you get on with your colleagues, your happiness levels, you current salary (is it actually enough for the life you want), the kindness your employer has shown you, etc.

I know lots of people who have put money ahead of all these things, and they are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I just discovered that LinkedIn has a "Salary Insights" section where you can compare your salary to other people with the same job title as you. I would assume this is pretty accurate considering it's basically crowd sourced by other people submitting their salary details and takes location into account.

According to my results my salary is bang on the median but about €15k less than the top end of the spectrum, which is a little disappointing to be honest... Good to know though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Big difference between 35% increase on 45k and 150k. Forget perecentages. Work out daily difference post tax and expenses such as travel, food, parking, and also factor in hours of commute if extra. It's effectively working.

Advertisement