Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retaining wall trailing plants

Options
  • 16-05-2019 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

I have a bare block retaining wall between 2'6" and 3' tall.

Its sits between 6" and 8" above the ground on the high side and both sides of the wall are currently finished in hardcore. I was initially going to clad the wall in stone but its south facing and it would be a waste.

I al considering building a bed on the high side (nothing fancy perhaps dig out some of the 3/4 down and put in a foot of top soil or place boxes and plant trailing plants that I can train to hang over the wall. Hopefully this will hide the wall and by planting a few varieties give me some summer long colour.

Looking for recommendations.

Once end of the all is in partial shade ( garden shed blocking direct sun) so will need different plants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭macraignil

knipex wrote: »
    I have a bare block retaining wall between 2'6" and 3' tall.

Its sits between 6" and 8" above the ground on the high side and both sides of the wall are currently finished in hardcore. I was initially going to clad the wall in stone but its south facing and it would be a waste.

I al considering building a bed on the high side (nothing fancy perhaps dig out some of the 3/4 down and put in a foot of top soil or place boxes and plant trailing plants that I can train to hang over the wall. Hopefully this will hide the wall and by planting a few varieties give me some summer long colour.

Looking for recommendations.

Once end of the all is in partial shade ( garden shed blocking direct sun) so will need different plants.

I found this linked list of suggested trailing plants and would agree with the inclusion of aubrieta, campanula, lysimachia, persicaria and creeping phlox which I have growing well in my own garden. I also find the ground cover plant ajuga tends to trail away from where it is planted and produces nice spikes of blue flowers in spring.

Advertisement