Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer line keeps breaking

Options
  • 16-05-2019 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

I have a strimmer with a 2 line spool head.
    I've tried stringing it loads of different ways but it doesn't matter. It always breaks and I get 15 mins of strimming time at best. I just use the blade where I can.
    I've looked up a load of you tube videos and I see 2 line spool heads usually have dividers. My one doesn't.
    I'm thinking its probably a poor design.
    I think what's happening is the two lines are getting tangled up with each other in the spool head which leads them to break quickly.
    I just don't know what else to do to try and prevent that.

But any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not sure exactly what you are on about. If you are getting 15 minutes before your line breaks you are doing well. More like a few minutes, stop, let some more line out, then continue. The breaks are normally where the line come out of the head and eventually line will always break there. The skill is to know when to stop just before the line breaks rather than have to when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If you are just cutting grass then the string should last,.try not to cut too close to the ground. Once you start attacking weeds with strong stems then the string will not last. Use a blade if you are cutting a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Most two-line strimmers have a feed system where you slow down to tickover and press it against the ground (there's a big 'button' in the middle of the strimmer head. You'll know when to feed out more cord when you begin to hear it rotating faster as the cords get shorter. When you're winding on more cord in the head keep it tight and under control until you have it re-assembled so that it doesn't spring out and tangle inside the head. Be careful near fences and hard edgings, as these will wear down the cord very rapidly. The blade is meant for brush-cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get a better quality line.

It comes in different grades and styles.

We use a strong orange one with a square section and it cuts well and will cut briars no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

having the exact same problem! Wondering too if it might be the line . I had no idea they came in different grades!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

I use 3mm strimmer cord. It wears down but almost never breaks.

Use the heaviest that your machine can handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have found that cleaning up the eyelets on the strimmer head can help reduce breakages?

My theory is that if the edges of the eyelets are rough then they add to the abrasion on the line.

You'll notice as you pull out new line that there is a distinct wear mark where the line was previously against the eyelets. Leave it too long and thats the point where the line will break.

But I have also noticed that some line even of the same brand breaks a lot and some seems much tougher never quite got to the bottom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The few I've owned have always done this.

Regardless of cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

_Brian wrote: »
    Get a better quality line.

It comes in different grades and styles.

We use a strong orange one with a square section and it cuts well and will cut briars no bother.
    Can you supply the brand name or where you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Soak the line in water, it makes it more flexible.
    Nylon absorbs about 3% water and good lines like Oregon even come with a thin sponge in the pack to allow you to soak the line before use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement