Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive from Lucan to Cork

Options
  • 16-05-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Have to go to Cork next week. Need to be there for around 9am - what time would you suggest leaving? Have never been there before so just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

Depends on what part of Cork to be honest as you be arriving there in rush hour. if you leave lucan at 6 heading over M50 and then N7 you will hit traffic at tunnel in cork and it depends on which way you are heading

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

headed to Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Have to go to Cork next week. Need to be there for around 9am - what time would you suggest leaving? Have never been there before so just curious!

I wouldn't be leaving after 6am anyway. Traffic in Dublin and M7 southbound will be fine at that time but you'll be hitting traffic in cork which is a nightmare. Usually that trip is around the 2 and a half hour mark so leaving at 6am should have you there by 9 easily.

If it was me I'd try and head down the evening before if thats an option.

not an option to go the night before i am afraid, i can leave Lucan at 5:45am and be on the N7 for 6am - should be ok with that?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

not an option to go the night before i am afraid, i can leave Lucan at 5:45am and be on the N7 for 6am - should be ok with that?

Remember a lot of the N7 is still in shite so take that into account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah that'd be grand. I'm a delivery driver based in Dunboyne and I go to Cork and Kerry regularly. When I do, I usually leave about 6am and I'm finishing my first drop around 9.

The M7 roadworks aren't actually as bad as people make out. Yes it's a 60km limit but it flows pretty well outside of major rush hour so at that time of the morning you will be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Dont miss the turn M7/M8 at Portlaois .a common mistake .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Worst case scenario you'll be delayed about 20 minutes on approach to Dunkettle and the tunnel at about 830am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Aim to be there for about 8:15 as the approach to the roundabout at the end of the M8 can be an absolute disaster.

thanks all!
    I will let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

11wingnut wrote: »
    Dont miss the turn M7/M8 at Portlaois .a common mistake .

Drive the road regularly and have still made this mistake.
    Cant believe the number of people I know who have done it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

BowWow wrote: »
    Drive the road regularly and have still made this mistake.
    Cant believe the number of people I know who have done it too...

Drove to Cork while back and also missed it, got so much slagging of my brother over it - I actually couldnt believe how I missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Quick tip for OP on another morning before you travel fire up Google maps at 6am and see what time they estimate for your destination. Might not be 100% accurate but give a good indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The route to Mahon is M8 and onto the N40 south ring which starts with the Jack Lynch Tunnel and Dunkettle Interchange which is one of Cork's (and Ireland's) busiest urban roads at that hour or the morning. Give yourself extra time.

It's usually not absolutely horrendous but it can be pretty bad - it will definitely take 20 to 30 mins to get that couple of km to Mahon. There's also usually a lot of traffic into Mahon from the exit off the N40. I usually try to get there before 8am

If you're coming into Cork on the M8 just follow the signs for N40 and go through the tunnel. Mahon is the first exit after the tunnel. You don't need to go into the city centre. The junction is a multilane signalised roundabout with a flyover over the top. It's similar to the old Redcow roundabout and also about to be replaced.

(Also the tunnel isn't tolled)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

messrs wrote: »
    Drove to Cork while back and also missed it, got so much slagging of my brother over it - I actually couldnt believe how I missed it!
    Easily done. In other countries they make a much bigger thing of motorway-motorway junctions (think of the German Autobahnkreuz) with much more prominent signage, the signs for the M8 turnoff aren't any bigger or more prominent than they would be for some minor rural R road.

While I'm at it, when you come from the other direction, there's absolutely zero indication that you're about to merge with another motorway apart from one of those yellow diamond signs indicating a merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It could definitely do with maybe the overhead electronic signage turned on for the turn.

Advertisement