Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and bleach

Options
  • 15-05-2019 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I sprayed some of my weeds with a dilute bleach solution and the feral cat that adopted me has gone haywire in the back yard rolling in and rubbing against the sprayed weeds. Anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The cat smells the ammonia and assumes an intruder has encroached on his/her territory. He/she is reestablishing his/her property by scent marking any place the smell is. I would advise trying to discourage this though if you can as the bleach may be harmful if ingested when the cat grooms itself.

Also, why on earth would you spray weeds with diluted bleach. I can't imagine it does anything to them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One of our cats (female tortie) goes mad for the smell of bleach if anything has been cleaned with it. The other (male ginger) shows no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The cat smells the ammonia and assumes an intruder has encroached on his/her territory. He/she is reestablishing his/her property by scent marking any place the smell is. I would advise trying to discourage this though if you can as the bleach may be harmful if ingested when the cat grooms itself.

Also, why on earth would you spray weeds with diluted bleach. I can't imagine it does anything to them :confused:[/QUOTE]

See https://living.thebump.com/bleach-vs-vinegar-weed-killer-13283.html and dozens of other sites, Bleach is a well tried and effective weedkiller

I am also sure that cats can differentiate between bleach and pee

Advertisement