Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard roses - advice needed

Options
  • 15-05-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

looking for advise/suggestions on best hardy standard roses

I have an old cottage garden approximately 60foot long with timber post and rail fence as a backdrop

I already have perennial plants there like lupins, old lillies ,delphiniums etc ,but it needs a bit of height badly and something that will continue as feature and colour when the perennials have died off

I think the setting is ideal as its an old stone house

Any recommendations of names of hardy types
    Suitable space/distance between them without overdoing it
    Would all same colour look best for consistency and effect

Do they repeat flower
    I am guessing they could be pricey but a worthwhile investment
    I also have a post and rail timber fence for years at the back of where I would be planting the standard roses, was thinking of going for change and putting posts only the treated type that have greater longevity, and run some trellis wire along the posts - so that I could plant rambling roses and other climbing plants for different seasons??

Images and suggestions very welcome
    apologies for the long post, had to tell the full story!!!

Many thanks in advancesmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Look up David Austin Roses (google) you should easily find roses that fit your requirements.

Keep an eye on Lidl they have had David Austin Roses in past years at what seems expensive prices but cheap compared to the catalog price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Right on time check out Lidl this week, the first couple of climbers I spotted were both David Austin roses at half David Austin prices, in previous years Lidl has had roses with David Austin labels on them but not this year. The standards aren't bad at €6.99 all plants looked excellent and very well grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Many thanks for the LIDL update, must check out in the morn if they have any left

Advertisement