Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Train

Options
  • 15-05-2019 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just wondering are there any work commuters to Dublin on here?? Trying to gauge the train situation to Heuston.

Are the 7.03am and 7.55am trains always jammed by the time they get to Carlow or is there always plenty of seating available???

I went up on the 8.56am recently and some people ended up standing,so not sure if the earlier trains are either less busy or even more so...

Any advice appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

Pretty much standing room only from Carlow onwards. It worse in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Used the morning trains a fair few times earlier in the year but got on at Bagenalstown. Mostly got a seat but at Carlow it's busy. I actually tended to rely on JJ Kavanagh buses to Dublin. Great service but depends where you're going in Dublin etc. I used to go to the red cow and hop off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

mosesgun wrote: »
    Used the morning trains a fair few times earlier in the year but got on at Bagenalstown. Mostly got a seat but at Carlow it's busy. I actually tended to rely on JJ Kavanagh buses to Dublin. Great service but depends where you're going in Dublin etc. I used to go to the red cow and hop off there.

Thanks...I thought they added a few extra carriages to cater for the morning rush.

I'd just be going to the city centre for work,maybe the bus would be the better option as I had totally forgotten about that service ha.. between Kavanaghs and Bus Eireann there should be plenty of seating I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

celticsfan wrote: »
    Thanks...I thought they added a few extra carriages to cater for the morning rush.

I'd just be going to the city centre for work,maybe the bus would be the better option as I had totally forgotten about that service ha.. between Kavanaghs and Bus Eireann there should be plenty of seating I guess

The bus takes a bit longer to be fair but you could possibly mix it up between bus and train. JJ kavanagh's service is second to none I reckon. You can buy a prepay card so you don't need cash and you can book easily online to guarantee a seat on busy services. Found Bus Eireann brutal. Just hard to deal with. Carlow to Heuston by train will be defo your quickest route but perhaps a bit of hassle at peak times. Someone said they couldn't increase the number of carriages on the service due to the fact that the platform in Kilkenny can only cater for 6 carriages maximum. Sounds bananas but seemingly it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The bus takes a bit longer to be fair but you could possibly mix it up between bus and train. JJ kavanagh's service is second to none I reckon. You can buy a prepay card so you don't need cash and you can book easily online to guarantee a seat on busy services. Found Bus Eireann brutal. Just hard to deal with. Carlow to Heuston by train will be defo your quickest route but perhaps a bit of hassle at peak times. Someone said they couldn't increase the number of carriages on the service due to the fact that the platform in Kilkenny can only cater for 6 carriages maximum. Sounds bananas but seemingly it's true.

That is crazy- CIE are the most inept “company” going though- the platform in kk was always very long but Irish rail themselves hatcheted it off over the years to leave much of it abandoned and derelict. Pretty much sums up their attitude to the Carlow Waterford line which has huge potential beyond the minimal service they currently provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Carlow can be hit or miss, but most get a seat. Forget about being choosy in the matter though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've gotten the 7:00 am train a few times and always get a seat from what I've seen it's not that busy that people would be standing. Coming home at peak hour is another thing and as for seat booking that's a farce I'm convinced if it were only you and another on the train he'd be in your seat. I usually bring the bike again another farce a few get on in Carlow with bikes and in the evenings the bike racks are always full even if you did book you bike on with you. If I were doing it everyday I'd be using the city bikes in Dublin or getting a folding bike. (Probably the latter)

As for bus v train if it works for you I'd take the train everytime far more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've gotten the 7:00 am train a few times and always get a seat from what I've seen it's not that busy that people would be standing. Coming home at peak hour is another thing and as for seat booking that's a farce I'm convinced if it were only you and another on the train he'd be in your seat. I usually bring the bike again another farce a few get on in Carlow with bikes and in the evenings the bike racks are always full even if you did book you bike on with you. If I were doing it everyday I'd be using the city bikes in Dublin or getting a folding bike. (Probably the latter)

As for bus v train if it works for you I'd take the train everytime far more comfortable.

Thanks a million for that.. I have flexitime which will help with the commute a bit too as you can arrive in around 10am if you want...

Totally agree about the seat booking,the last day I was on it I seen someone that had a seat booked and they had to ask the person to move outta the seat. They should have a designated carriage for booked seats or something...

I think there is a taxsaver scheme or something too if your employer participates in it which can reduce the cost of a monthly ticket...

Advertisement