Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble booting Ubuntu from USB

Options
  • 15-05-2019 5:02pm

Wanted to take a look at 19.04 so created USB for it , not trying to install just using the live element of it.

I get the following :

Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e
    MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
    Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e

I think this is a problem with UEFI/Secureboot. I've checked the bios setting and from what I can tell at least secure boot is disabled. Maybe I messed up creating the usb ? Used Rufus with recommened settings and ISO option as opposed to dd when I got that prompt. Board is an MSI B350.

I can run it on a VM if need be so not the end of the world but figured I might as well ask here as sometimes it's useful to boot to it rather than use a VM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Enfilade. Did you verify the checksum? It could be a corrupt ISO file.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

You could also try this app: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Cheers Worztron, I did verify the cheak sum.

Etcher seems to have done the trick though, thanks. Rufus wasn't what I'd normally use, I just couldn't remember the name of the other one I've used in the past.

Cheers Worztron, I did verify the cheak sum.

Etcher seems to have done the trick though, thanks. Rufus wasn't what I'd normally use, I just couldn't remember the name of the other one I've used in the past.
    You're very welcome. I'm always delighted to see people giving GNU/Linux aka Linux a try. Happy computing!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

etcher & rufus have given me mixed results in the past, when on linux i use the gnome-disk-utility (aka Disks). just pick the usb drive hit the 3 lines icon then restore disk image and search for the iso you want to burn. after a minute or 2 you should see the partition name change to verify its completed.

• Advertisement

rayzercork wrote: »
    etcher & rufus have given me mixed results in the past, when on linux i use the gnome-disk-utility (aka Disks). just pick the usb drive hit the 3 lines icon then restore disk image and search for the iso you want to burn. after a minute or 2 you should see the partition name change to verify its completed.

I too opt for gnome-disk-utility.

Advertisement