Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup likes barking at cats

Options
  • 15-05-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

My pup has become territorial about his garden, and barks furiously at the cat next door, who enjoys sitting on the wall trailing her tail down and staring insolently at him.

Unfortunately this game has extended to other cats, and yesterday when I was walking him and wheeling my bicycle he nearly tore my arm off trying to get at an innocent little cat that was dancing and raging at him behind a gate.

Any tips on calming this behaviour? (I don't want next door's cat in the garden anyway, because there are lots of nesting birds. The pup was caught with a dead bird the other day; not sure if the cat had got it or if he caught it in mid-flight.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

All dogs will be territorial about there garden that's there space and they don't want anyone else bar you and close relatives to you out in it. I would say get him neutered if not already as this certainly helps. I got my dog neutered recently and it has certainly made him less territorial.
    I doubt your dog caught the bird. I would say the cat caught it and then he took it when the car was not at it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

That's what I thought (about the bird) until I saw him leaping up as the sparrows swooped down - the sparrows have had a few years without a young dog in the garden and their flight path goes around 2m from the ground, an easy jump for him.

I'm not worried about him barking at the cat next door; it's extending it to other cats he passes on the road that I mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Rechuchote wrote: »
    That's what I thought (about the bird) until I saw him leaping up as the sparrows swooped down - the sparrows have had a few years without a young dog in the garden and their flight path goes around 2m from the ground, an easy jump for him.

I'm not worried about him barking at the cat next door; it's extending it to other cats he passes on the road that I mind.

You need to let him know then that when he parks at the other cats its bold of him. Say a word like EH as dogs don't like that. Keep doing that when out walking every time he goes after the other cars and he should stop it.

Fair play to him if can catch the birds. He must be a good jumper.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

He's an ace jumper. Border collie merle, son of two working dogs from Wickala.

Advertisement