Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog eating soil from potted plants

Options
  • 14-05-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

My 11 years old cavalier has started eating soil, I've looked online and there's so much conflicting information. He gets plenty of cooked fruit and veg and fresh chicken and I give him omega 3 supplements, he gets abit of dog food mixed in with this. He's in good form other wise... Any advice???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ugggh Bailey is always doing this in the park!! His permanently floppy tongue does be dripping with muck :rolleyes: I try and interrupt him when he does it but it sets him mad running around lol

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

tk123 wrote: »
    Ugggh Bailey is always doing this in the park!! His permanently floppy tongue does be dripping with muck :rolleyes: I try and interrupt him when he does it but it sets him mad running around lol

Thanks i thought he might be lacking in some thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is this new behaviour?
    Is it only soil from potted plants?
    Could there be something in the pots that he likes? (Ive just added fertilizer beads to all of my potted plants for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Acey10 wrote: »
    Thanks i thought he might be lacking in some thing...

A few dogs I know eat briquettes when we pass the shop lol - there's always some broken bits :pac:

aonb wrote: »
    Is this new behaviour?
    Is it only soil from potted plants?
    Could there be something in the pots that he likes? (Ive just added fertilizer beads to all of my potted plants for example)

He eats grass aswel, yeah its only recently started as I've started so sow flowers and plants and tidy up the garden! I've a younger cavalier who is on the same food, she eats grass but not soil...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Acey10 wrote: »
    My 11 years old cavalier has started eating soil, I've looked online and there's so much conflicting information. He gets plenty of cooked fruit and veg and fresh chicken and I give him omega 3 supplements, he gets abit of dog food mixed in with this. He's in good form other wise... Any advice???

I would suggest adding kefir and bone broth to his diet - both great for gut, digestionand overall health

are you sure his current diet is complete?

dogs should have organ meat in their diets, id hold off on the fruit (too high in sugars they don't need it), id give raw veg in small amounts and vary the protein source - ie duck, chicken, beef, pork etc

cocker5 wrote: »
    I would suggest adding kefir and bone broth to his diet - both great for gut, digestionand overall health

are you sure his current diet is complete?

dogs should have organ meat in their diets, id hold off on the fruit (too high in sugars they don't need it), id give raw veg in small amounts and vary the protein source - ie duck, chicken, beef, pork etc

Thanks, yes I make my own kefir and he loves it! I'll also get some organ meats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

old wives' tail was that a dog eating grass meant worms

lawred2 wrote: »
    old wives' tail was that a dog eating grass meant worms

He gets worming tablets every 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

• Advertisement
Advertisement